'89 Cutlass DIS

93CutlassSupreme

so basically just follow the directions word for word?

splice into the exact same wires and shit? ex if he says splice into a fuse, but he spliced into another wire, use the same wire?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 93CutlassSupreme

• GutlessSupreme

• GnatGoSplat

• 99RegalGS

yep. go for it already.

One thing, get all the ground wires together (2 or 3 of them?) first and just put those all into the same splice. I did every wire in order as he has them listed and it'd would've made it way easier if I had connected them all to the same spot at once.

and should for some reason you're weird like me and decide to use 4 wired phone cord, just run one cord up to the cluster/light switch, because I think you only need 4 wires up there. Same thing happened as before, I went in order and ended up with 3 cords going up. Do things going to the same physical area at the same time.

what's the hud switch mentioned in that thread?

i don't have one

also, i don't have my stock radio, i have an aftermarket clarion. will that affect the dis at all? i know it says "good morning" and stuff when you start the car.

also, where should i ground wire E on connector C1, and wire D on connector C2?

what's the hud switch mentioned in that thread?

i don't have one

You wouldn't unless you had a HUD..

it's just saying that the dimmer switch (on the 2nd gen HUDs) would mount where the small bin next to the DIS is now. Don't worry about it.

also, i don't have my stock radio, i have an aftermarket clarion. will that affect the dis at all? i know it says "good morning" and stuff when you start the car.

No, it won't affect it at all. the DIS has it's own clock/date

also, where should i ground wire E on connector C1, and wire D on connector C2?

As I said before, get all the grounds together and hook them up to the same place. It's just easier. I'll assume that since you didn't ask about whire H on C1 that you already hooked that up. Just hook up C1 E and C2 D to the same place as C1 H. That post recommends the black wire for the cig lighter. Any black wire in that region would do fine, they're all grounds (the lighter and lighter/ashtray bulbs).

thanks for the help

i just got the dis today and was looking over the instructions again.

saturday it will be going in. i will be starting early in the morning and won't stop until it's done

Why bother with all that work? You'd probably be ahead if you just fuggedaboudit and save up for a G-body.

paypal me a couple grand for a clean Cutlass Supreme, and i'll be all set.

btw, clean rust-free G's do exist. i'll start taking pictures of everyone i see if you call bs on this too.

A couple grand?

You should be able to pick one up for a few hundred bucks.

Penny traded in her '83 Cutlass Supreme back in '95 for "$1000"... although in reality, considering how much she paid for the '88 Cutlass she traded for, she probably paid the guy $1000 to take it.

It was relatively rust-free, ran great and was reliable. Paint all intact, all 1 color, and even the wonderful landau top vinyl was fine.

She woulda happily sold it back then for $1000 cash. If she still had it today, she'd probably sell it for first $100. :lol:

i've seen a couple Hurst-Olds G's go for a few grand around here

G's are worth more in my area than you think. they're very popular. all the brothers are buying them up and putting their big ass wheels on them and thinking they're cool.

Hursts are classics so they'll go for a few G's.

You could probably get into a regular one pretty cheap. Maybe get to know some "brotha's", they could probably hook you up.

Check the want-ads and drive down the more industrial parts of town looking for cars on the side of the road with For Sale signs in them. I'm almost sure you could find one in half decent condition for its age that doesn't cost any more than you could sell your current Cutlass for.

Seriously, it makes little sense financially to waste extra spending cash on a car you don't care about. I've had a few cars I didn't care much about in the past, I didn't put hardly any money or time into them and I'm glad I didn't!

i will have this car for the next 4 years. i know it will start every time i turn they key, the engine runs great, the trans is alright. the shift from 1st to 2nd is rough, but the rest are fine, and it doesn't slip or anything. the body doesn't have any rust, and only a couple small dents. the interior, while having some stupid options like a bench seat and a column shifter, is very clean.

like i said, i like this car, that's why i drive it and dump money into it. i'm a perfectionist, i want my car to run and be at it's best. it's just not my dream car. no fwd V-6 car will ever be my dream car. that's just how i feel.

once i graduate (if i ever pick a major:lol:) and get a real job not making $9 an hour, i will be looking for another car. and it won't be fwd, i'll tell you that right now.

for wire C on connector C1, what Yellow wire do i splice into?

there are three Yellow wires running out of two connectors on the headlight switch. what wire do i use? the directions don't specify.

anyone? Gutlass? i'm working on this right now and i'd like to get this done

I think that's the wire that make's it display dimmer when the headlights come on. I don't know what to tell ya, go ahead and try all three and see which one works right. sorry.

Yes, it's a matter of trial and error when Installing it. I had to switch wires a few times. But IIRC the smaller yellow wire by the headlight switch was the one I used.

i figured out what wire it was. it was the smaller yellow wire. hit it on the first try!

here's my install. i'm actually proud of my wiring skills, didn't fuck nothing up.

HPIM0689.jpg

now i just have to find a dash panel that isn't all scrached up. i didn't have the big dash panel with the pocket at the bottom, so i got this one out of the yard and it's kinda fucked up

so......does it work???

I will be taking on the task of putting a '90 GP DIC into my '97 Cutty in the next couple of weeks....we will see how much fun that will be....

yes, it works

does a lot of stuff i didn't know it does

i have a question - will it show computer codes or anything? say my ses light is on, will i get a message in the dis too?