"Change Oil Soon"

f_399

I want to know if this sensor lights up every 3000 miles or so

or

does it really mean my oil is going bad and i need to change it.

I can reset it by pressing the gas pedal 3 times then starting the car.

Is this sensor based on the last time it was reset or the REAL quality of my oil?

It's even that advanced in the older system? I thought it just waited like 7000 miles and then said change oil now.

yep thats exactly right, its still not entirely accurate but most GM computers come on at 5-7k intervals.

Its really rather useless since it does not check the actual condition of the oil.

I perfer to look at my dipstik, take the damn idiot light out.

yep thats exactly right, its still not entirely accurate but most GM computers come on at 5-7k intervals.

Its really rather useless since it does not check the actual condition of the oil.

I perfer to look at my dipstik, take the damn idiot light out.

Mine used to come on around 4000 miles or so.

According to a GM Techline newsletter article, GM engineers disagree that it's useless, they recommend you use it and they seem very confident that their algorithm will ensure a long lasting engine. I would think they know what they're talking about since they have to foot the bill if an engine fails under warranty.

I use my oil minder exclusively and have never had an oil-related problem in nearly 200,000 miles.

Looking at a dipstick won't tell you anything without a lab oil analysis. Oil can look clean and be bad, it look bad and be fine.

Mine used to come on around 4000 miles or so.

According to a GM Techline newsletter article, GM engineers disagree that it's useless, they recommend you use it and they seem very confident that their algorithm will ensure a long lasting engine. I would think they know what they're talking about since they have to foot the bill if an engine fails under warranty.

I use my oil minder exclusively and have never had an oil-related problem in nearly 200,000 miles.

Looking at a dipstick won't tell you anything without a lab oil analysis. Oil can look clean and be bad, it look bad and be fine.

th GM algrorythim will hav you changing oil more often than you need to espically with full synthetics. Gms calculations are a best guess just like any one elses. There are actually 5 or 6 different formulas for oil life calculation and all are just best guesses.

For more info on oil selection and life spans check these sites out

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I've never had that light come on.. But I always change my oil before 3000miles anyways. I always thought that the oil light was if you were low on oil.. learn new stuff everyday. :P

I've never had that light come on.. But I always change my oil before 3000miles anyways. I always thought that the oil light was if you were low on oil.. learn new stuff everyday. :P

only if you have the dis/dic in the old cars, newer cars have it display on the dash

only if you have the dis/dic in the old cars, newer cars have it display on the dash

That oil light IS if it is low.