ABS to non-ABS

Curlybandit

I just learned from my mechanic that I may need to replace the Master Cylinder in my 1991 Buick Regal GS, with the 3.8L. My understanding is that 1991 is the only year that they made this disaster of a braking system. A rebuilt master cylinder for one of these things with the ABS is NOT CHEAP. I'm looking at over $1000.00. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert this model Regal from ABS to non-ABS as this model came with both systems? Otherwise, can anyone recomend where I can get a rebuilt ABS-master cylinder for this model Regal, or at least a used one with a decent warantee? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Curlybandit

That ABS system was used 88-91.

It's possible to convert, a proper conversion will require all new rear brake lines, possibly front brake lines, and a new firewall plate which requires removing the dash.

I've heard of people modifying the existing plate on the firewall to accommodate the vacuum booster, although considering how big of a job this is in the first place, I would probalby do it right and yank the dash.

SPEAKING ABOUT ABS...MY ABS LIGHT HAS BEEN COMING ON AND I HAVE NOTICED THAT INSTEAD OF BEING ABLE TO STOP SMOOTHLY, MY BRAKES BECAME CHOPPY... AFTER DRINVING AROUND AFTER AWHILE THE BRAKES STARTED TO RESPOND TO MY BRAKING AND I WAS ABLE TO STOP NORMALLY WITHOUT THE BRAKES SHUDDERING.. THE LIGHT WENT OFF AND THE PROBLEM HASNT COME UP AS OF YET... THIS IS A SEMI SERIOUS EVENT HENCE THE CAPS LOCK...

any help appreciated.

I can't remember if the Cutlass ABS monitors off of the CV axle or the wheel bearing itself, but check the condition of your wheel bearing, because a bad one will play mind games with your ABS.

It's possible to convert, a proper conversion will require all new rear brake lines, possibly front brake lines, and a new firewall plate which requires removing the dash.

I've heard of people modifying the existing plate on the firewall to accommodate the vacuum booster, although considering how big of a job this is in the first place, I would probalby do it right and yank the dash.

I don't suppose you have any directions or instructions on how this can be done? Perhaps a diagram or specs? Anyone you know that's done this? Every wrecker that I call laughs when I ask for the ABS master cylinder.

Curlybandit

I suppose not... :cry: Oh well, guess I'll wing it :lol:

Yeah, that's what I plan to do... someday.

Thank goodness for 3-car garages - meaning I have something else I can drive until such a day that I feel motivated to do this project!