Need help wiring fan switch on a 96GP

1RedGP

Trying to wire up a manual swith for the fans on my 96GP. Having some problems. I have some old instructions for wiring the fans, but they're for a Cutlass and apparanty they're not the same. Can anyone help me? I need to know what terminals to connect the wires to. Anyone have any help...or a link for a 96GP or equivilant? Thanks

thanks, those are the instructions that I already have. either I'm not doing something right or they're not for a 3100 GP. I know that the relay #'s that are referred to are not the same on my car. Anyone else? Someone has to have done this.

Also- When I tried to hook up the manual fan switch the main fan stays on even with the car completly off.

To be more clear-When the car is turned on...both fans work...when the car is turned off the main fan runs by itself.

I grounded the # 85 terminals on the relays. Grounding the one listed in the instructions blew some fuses.

Any suggestions?

The switch that I have has 3 terminals on it as well...I thought a switch only had to have 2. This is all the info. that I have.

when you hooked up the switch did you just ground the wire or did you hook it up to a switch? What happened when you turned off the car and shut off the switch? Did it keep running regardless?

I think we just grounded it w/o the switch...and we tried the switch as well. Shut the car off and the main fan still ran...my memory is a bit short today..so I may be confused...

hmm. Well seeing that the fans were running when you grounded the relay, it seems that you found the right relay to ground.

So when you disconnect the connection to the ground through the switch, it should shut the fans off...

I really gotta try this for myself.

Did you ground both fan relays or just one?

also i would try a switch that has only two connectors, one for hot and one for ground. That way it just acts as a direct break in the wire.

Oh yeah, what gauge wire did you use and what was the amp capacity of the switch if you know?

Update:

I got a different switch and used it today. Now I can get both fans to come on with the car on. I can turn them on and off using the switch with the car on. When I turn the car off/ignition off I can switch the main fan on, but I can't turn it off with the switch. To turn the fan off I have to flip the switch to off and then turn the ignition on...this turns the fan off. Flipping the switch on with the ignition/engine on turns both fans on again. Seems rather weird, but it works I guess...

i had the same problem when i did it to my 95 cutlass, i ran 2 seperate wires from the#87 pin to 2 different switches, cuz when i ran both wires to one switch i had the same problem u did, i ran the primary fan wire to one switch and the from the switch to a ground, then i ran the wire from the secondary fan to a different switch, and then to from that switch to a ground, u can use th same ground u used for the primary switch, and i could turn the primary fan on and off when the ignition was off

oh yeah, one more thing, when you wired it, did you do it like it says in that tutorial? By wrapping the wire around the prong on the relay? Or did you connect it somewhere else?

well these fans seem to have a mind of their own. sometimes they cone on when you shut the car off...and they dont want to go off. I used relay #85. I think that some fuses blew when I tried 87...cause i had to replace them. This is turning out to be a pain..maybe I'll try just runningone fan...see what that does.

you have both fans running on one switch? Maybe try to give them their own switch.

You really only need one fan going anyway.

I'll be giving this a try either tommorow or the next day, depending on weather.

yeah thats what i did, i ran each fan to a seperate switch, cuz when i ran both fans to one switch i had the same problem you did..and as far as the prong goes you must had an older car, cuz on mine #85 is hot on mine

actually our cars are both 96 grand prixs, so they are younger, and seeing that they are 96's that means that all the electrical/computer is ass backwards. We can thank GM for that.

oh my bad, maybe if i was paying more attention i would have noticed, and the wiring does seem ass backwards...my wonderful cutty gets to go in for inspection tomorrow, i cant wait to see much its gonna cost