fixing the range on the TPS

sonyman87

Well. when i had my intake manifold off i pulled the TPS and im gussing that chock thing next to it.. AIC? well i cleaned the top off of the AIC and Tried to put the TPS back on the way i thought it should go. spining it 180*s to its bolt location to spin the internals so they spin with the throttle. Im having a problem with Idel i did a search and people have claimed the same problem but nobody has given an awnser to fix it.

I crank it over and it dies like its being choked out, but if i feather the gass pedel a little it iwll hold idel and run GREAT! after the car warms up for a while it will idel on its own fine..

Do you think i put the TPS on wrong. any input would be Great!

It doesn't sound like you put the TPS back on wrong. The other thing you took out is the Idle Air Control motor, and is what causes the car to idle crappy when it doesn't open. There is a special procedure (don't remember it off the top of my head) to re-synch the IAC after you remove and replace it. I don't have the ole Haynes in front of me right now but it does have the proper instructions, though. I would definitely look into the IAC. If the TPS was bad, the car would idle fine, but would stumble upon acceleration...

If the TPS was bad, the car would idle fine, but would stumble upon acceleration...

not always. i replaced my tps with a new gm unit and it still stumbles on occasion

Its pretty obvious which way the TPS sensor faces........you'd notice if it was on backwards when it comes time to hook the copnnector back up....so I doubt you did that wrong.

The IAC is pry where the problem is.........just pull the IAC back off and bottom the piston out.......that will bring the stepper motor to its max number of counts outward. Then just start it up.

according to chelton manual

i pulled the IAC and did the ohm test it red 59.6 on both a & b and c & d where 40-80ohms is good. Then the proper procedure to reset the IAC is to turn the key to the On position (motor off) for 5 seconds then turn it off for 10 seconds.

I will know 2marrow morning if this worked.

just pull the IAC back off and bottom the piston out..

The manual says doing that is a REALLY BAD idea. The manual says that it will strip the threads

So maybe I had my method wrong...................sorry...........its been awhile since I've had to mess with IAC.

The method you describe sounds like it recalibrates itself then.....and his problem would be coming from elsewhere.