Automatic Climate Control

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Was Automatic Climate control an option on 94-96 Grand Prix's? I've noticed other later w-bodies having it, but have yet to see it in a GP.

( inoticed the cutty of the month has it.)

Could you swap out a manual climate control to the automatic? My AC is dead as could be, but once its fixed I'd sure like auto A/C.

I don't know about the 94-96 GP's, I imagine it was an option, I had auto climate control on my old 89 cutlass, thing was a pile by the end, but I sure loved it. Oh well. Yes it is possible to do, but its not just putting a different climate control unit in, you'll have to get two temp sensors, and its car specific, one for the inside, and one for the out for everything to work all peachy keen. I say do it up, I'm trying to find the same for my car as well.

It was never an option on the '94-'96 GP. Physically, the '97+ units will fit. I also believe the ones from the Bonneville will also fit. As far as it plugging in and actually working, I highly doubt it.

Then again, GM has done some strange things. I could see it being possible in the '94's. Perhaps auto climate control was in the original plans, but was scrapped just before production.. read:prewired.

Same kind of idea with the '95 Cutlass. The manual has instructions for a HUD unit, yet the '95 Cutlass was never produced with a HUD in the dash. I'll bet money that there is a harness in the dash somewhere.

I don't think you can just swap in an auto HVAC unit and expect it to work. When my HVAC unit went out on my old LeSabre, I went to the library and got wiring schematics (my car had the manual HVAC unit and I was also curious if I could swap in a digital auto unit.) The cars that had the auto system had different actuators on the dampers and were wired differently. There also was a separate module specifically for the Auto system mounted under the dash. I would imagine you have to remove the complete airbox and swap in one from a car that has auto climate control...

Yeah, it's not a direct swap. Like DiscoStudd said, it requires a whole lot of different parts to work correctly. If you did an L67 long block swap and took everything with it, including the stuff for a dual auto electronic HVAC system you can probably get it to work. Any other way.. nah..

GM does do weird things sometimes.. The 95 Cutlass' ghost HUD like supreme said is a good example. They prewired ALL 94-96 GP's for HUD's even though most didn't have them. Go figure.. GM's weird.

does that mean that my cutlass (94) the bastard year, with the 3100 if it makes a difference is in the same boat, or am I likely to have the same set up as one with the auto climate? I know that it was an option, it was at least in my 89...

does that mean that my cutlass (94) the bastard year, with the 3100 if it makes a difference is in the same boat, or am I likely to have the same set up as one with the auto climate? I know that it was an option, it was at least in my 89...

In a Cutlass there is a lot of rewiring to get an auto climate to work.

I love my auto climate, but I am curious to know if a 97+ GP one will swap in directly (I doubt it, but I can hope) because I want the red backlighting...

.....on a side note, does anyone know how to replace a burned out bulb for one of the buttons on the control panel...the "Rear" button (last button on bottom row) doesn't light up any more...

5ab4e235.jpg

5ab4e235.jpg

Damn, I like that auto unit on your Cutty! Wish I had one like that... So how's my old radio working out for you? Didja get it fixed?

the radio is working out pretty damn good....I haven't had any issues with it at all so I haven't worried about getting it "fixed" yet.....but I have to do something because I am anal and if you look the the bottom row of buttons you can see that it doesn't fit the cutty dash all that well....

Ewww.... I say that that piece off, and figure out how much you will have to cut, and go at it. Or else, see if the reciever can be moved up any more.

Ewww.... I say that that piece off, and figure out how much you will have to cut, and go at it. Or else, see if the reciever can be moved up any more.

my thoughts exactly....I think the easiest solution might be to try to relocate the mounting points up slightly....otherwise I might just yank it from the dash...

• 16 years later...

The two vehicles I've known with automatic temp control,  sucked.   They're fine once you get to a reasonable temperature.  Until you get to that temp,  they're weak.  They're slow to cool down, they're slow to warm up.  I have the ability to defeat the automatic temp control on my Trailblazer, so I run it in manual mode instead.

Far as I'm concerned, automatic temp control is a DOWNGRADE.

• Like 1