starting a car with no starter.

White93z34

the car 1990 lumina euro coupe 3.1, 132k

i'm looking at buying this car except it sounds like it has a bad starter and thusly(is that a word?) won't start. i am told you can hand crank a car to start it. so if i were to throw the key in the on position and hand crank the engine, would it spring to life? i know this sounds very dangerious and like a bad idea but i intend on useing a cheepo breaker and sockets so when it jumps to life it just breaks the cheep socket and not my hand, i know i have to use extreme caution but is this doable. i'd replace the starter but i'm not gona put money into a car i may not even buy.

so basicly i'm asking

good idea bad idea?

will it work?

Dude.. Go to a junk yard.. find a starter for cheap off of a car with the same motor, and replace it.. That way your not out much money since that seems to be a big deal to you.

Very bad idea.....When cars were first bulit tahs what you had to do....same with old tractors. We had an old John Deere that was hand crank...damn near broke my arm on several occasions. So dont do anything stupid.

I doubt you could hand-crank that thing fast enough, and if you managed to, once it started it would yank the wrench out of your hands so fast you'd end up with a dislocated shoulder. However, that would be the least of your worries because it'd shoot the wrench out and impale itself somewhere in your body.

I would put in an old starter, or just buy it and pray that it works when you put in a starter.

there's a reason everyone with the old hand crank cars added electric starters.

Honestly, if you did manage to start it, and for some miracle it didn't dislocate your shoulder, or come flying off and impale you, then the most likely thing next on the list would be the braker bar would jam somewhere under the hood and bust the head of the bolt off in the crankshaft, and you'd be lookin' at a whole other mess to deal with.

:shock: hehe yet another one of my odd ideas shot down :lol: :lol:

i knew that was a very bad idea i think i'll just go nab a starter from the scrapers. how longdoes it take/hard is it to change on one of these cars anyhow

:withstupid: all the 60v6 starters are identical, and like $30 new with solinoid from autozone. It took me 20 minutes to do in a parking lot on my 90 3.1. I think its 2 15mm bolts to hold it in, an 8mm for the purple wire, a i think a 14mm for the main power on the starter.

good luck.

-Jeff

btw, you can disable the neutral safty switch, put the car into neutral, get it to about 10 mph and pop in into drive, but then your going to need a new transmission :lol:

If you do that starting method please get a video. I would like to see that and we can add another chapter to the movie series "Faces of Death"

If you do that starting method please get a video. I would like to see that and we can add another chapter to the movie series "Faces of Death"

:withstupid:

beat on the solenoid with a hammer, itll probably work after that

just got back from the shop that the car sits at was gona try it but the mechanics went home for the night already i'll probably try again wednesday. i guess i ought not to bitch much at a $300 car. ought to be an excelent winter ride, and general beater.

What's the big deal, it's just a parts car. Why would you go to the yard and buy parts for a parts car.

You could just take parts off this parts car: 1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34, 109k

Don't you need to produce around 100 rpm to start a motor?

If its a manual.....push it.

starters turn much faster than that

have you tried jumping the solenoid? half the time starters die its just a shot solenoid and ppl usually buy a new starter cuz its easier...

Good luck on it man! And make sure you get a starter out of a GP or a Cutlass! :wink: LMAO!!! Let me know if it all works for ya!

Good luck on it man! And make sure you get a starter out of a GP or a Cutlass! :wink: LMAO!!! Let me know if it all works for ya!

LUMINAS ONLY

Cadillac invented the self starter so people wouldn't have to break their arms everytime they had to start their car. And you can roll the car down a hill and if its a manual you just let go of the clutch and turn the key and it should start.

if you can get it to go 35 mph you can pop start it ....... 3.1 luminas never came with a 5 speed..... just put it in neutral and get it up to speed and slam it in 1st....... it will spin the motor enough to start. if the car has AC its a lil harder to swap the starter bc the AC lines run in the way.