Dead Battery

EurosportZ34

A couple days ago I try to start my car and it's 'dead'. Since the battery was pretty old to begin with I bought a new one. So my car has a brand new battery in it and runs fine. But it still does not keep its charge. I go to start it some mornings and it's dead. Note that my courtesy light on my door handle (coupe) stays on all the time, but could this drain my battery? I'm not sure why that light stays on, it's pry something else wrong.

That's enough to drain the battery the whole night.

It is probably a switch not releasing or wires grounding to the metal inside the door.

I would get a 12 volt test light to find out if there are more things draining the battery aside from the courtesy light that is contantly on.

All you have to do is disconnect the battery positive terminal cable and connect the 12 volt test light to the battery positive terminal post and the other end of that disconnected battery positive terminal cable.

The 12 volt light tester would normally turn ON as there is a current drain by the courtesy light. You can try removing the light bulb on the courtesy light first and see if the 12 volt light tester turns OFF. If not you can try removing ONE fuse at a time until the 12 volt light test turns OFF, then you know that the last fuse you remove is causing the drain of the battery and you need to trace that circuit.

Note that my courtesy light on my door handle (coupe) stays on all the time, but could this drain my battery? I'm not sure why that light stays on, it's pry something else wrong.

Try spraying the little spring switch things that the door pressed with some WD-40. My sister's Sunfire had the same problem, and it just turned out the switch was dirty due to undercoating overkill.

brad.... i had the same problem...... its the switch in the door that turns the courtesy lights on for the 30 seconds bit the dash lighst do.. spray wd40 in there and it shoudl be ok.

my wiper switch went bad on the gp, would drain the battery in 5-6 hours, did the ohm check on the battery and pulled fuse by fuse. when i pulled the 25 amp fuse for the wiper, the ohm dipped 2 almost 0. good luck.

-Jeff