code 43??

90lum31v6euro

got a problem with my 90 lumi 3.1

taking my gf home from tanning today, i got on the gas at teh base of her mountain, and at 35, it shifted me into first because i dont have 2nd anymore

well it takes off towards 45, shifts to 3rd, and the SES light comes on

after that, i loose power, much like a clogged cat would simulate

checked the codes at her house, and it threw code 43, and 62

in the Haynes manual, 43 is the knock sensor circuit, and 62 is the trans gear circuit switch, i get 62 all the time, and im guessing thats from not having 2nd gear

has anyone had code 43 and what did they do about it

thanks

I started running better gas after I got the knock sensor problem, I guess you could try that, and if it doesn't work, the go ahead and check the wires to make sure the knock sensor wires are still in good shape, and it that too doesn't work then replace the knock sensor.

--Dave.

ok, but i still dont understand how the knock sensor affects acceleration and performance

when i step on the gas its like im running on 4 of 6 cyl.

maybe i should sell the pos and buy a mini.... :roll:

ok, but i still dont understand how the knock sensor affects acceleration and performance

if the knock sensor senses detoniation it will retard the spark and shit hurting performance

so the easiest recourse of action is to run a higher grade of gas?

or shall i just throw in 2 octane boosters and hope i can limp it to the gas station for 89+

try the boosters till you can get some better gas in there, always try the easy stuff first, sounds like it could also be a pluged up fuel filter or that the fuel pump is startin' to die off on ya, as either of those things could cause a lean condition, and create knock that the sensor is picking up too, so not only running too lean, but the timing retarded way back that'll kill your performance.

--Dave.

Guest TurboSedan

i hardly noticed any decrease in performance with the knock sensor disconnected on my Cutlass. the SES light was on (pretty sure it had code 43 also), and the car was a little bit slower, but the car still ran fine. to be honest, if it weren't for the SES light i probably wouldn't have noticed a problem. make sure you check the KS connector itself while you're checking the KS. mine was old & brittle and fell apart, causing the connector to fall of the KS.