Stupid bulbs always breaking

92Cutlass4Dr

Are you using stock wattage? I ran 100W H3's in my foglights for awhile. They blew out within weeks. I switched to 55W which I think are OEM wattage, and they've lasted many, many years.

Shawn, you say the stock Cutlass foglights use H3 bulbs? I HATE THEM!!! I am so sick of fiddling around with the tiny screw that holds the bulb in AND used as a ground. I am forced to remove the foglight completely when I have toi change the bulb out, and that leads to another thing. Those H3 bulbs last about 1/5 the life of the headlamp bulb! I end up having to replace one at least every 4 months. It's getting to be annoying. There are some foglights on the market that have a simple plastic plug similar to the headlights. The Cutlass Sedans have em, maybe the '92+ coupe??...

Yep, those bulbs are H3's. Tiny screws???? I don't remember any tiny screws, just 2 TORX to remove the 2 plastic edges. My H3's were held in by a springy wire clip if I remember right. The 55W H3's that I'm using have last since 1995 or so. However, I've only lost 1 headlight bulb since I got the car in '94 so bulbs usually last plenty long for me. :)

The H3 foglights are actually far superior to the ones with the plastic base. I think plastic base bulbs are usually just 27W.

On the 2 models of foglights I've gotten, there's a tiny phillips head screw that holds the bulb where that little crevice is on the H3 (not where the tab is, across from it) this screw also serves as a ground and a MAJOR pain in the ass....so to remove the H3's on the stock ones, there's something else in this spot???

Were the foglights you got OEM?

You made me curious, so I pulled one of the foglights apart. There are just 2 T-15 TORX screws holding on the two plastic sides. Once the sides are off, the lens housing comes right out. There are two notches on the H3 base which fit into two "bumps" stamped into the foglight housing so the bulb can only be inserted one way. Then a metal spring clip clamps the bulb to the housing. The lens housing itself serves as the ground, and a separate ground wire connects to a tab on the housing.

Here's a pic of the lens housing and bulb retension mechanism - The housing has become quite rusty since the last time I had it apart. Guess I need to wash the car more often!

Also here's a pic of the inside of the housing that attaches to the car. It has a spring-loaded adjustment screw that you can see on the bottom.

It really sounds to me like yours must be aftermarket foglights, unless GM really changed the design.

yeah...crap I forgot to mention that. My foglights aren't OEM. The first set I had looked exactly like what you have on the OUTSIDE, but the bulb has to be removed from the back of the chrome reflector. Same with the ones I have now, but you don't remove the lens. There's just a boot to pull back, and the back of the H3 bulb is right there. Both of them have that tiny phillips screw to keep the bulb from falling back out. If you ever want to test your patience and steady hand, get them. Heck I'll give mine to you! There's a person on ebay selling "OEM replacement" foglights for GM cars, I wonder if they're identical to yours, or just crap that you could get from wal mart???

Well, I don't have any use for aftermarket OEM-look foglights, but thanks for the offer. :)

I think I know the screw you're talking about... I bought some aftermarket foglights for Penny's 88 Cutlass once. Never got around to installing them, but I think the bulb was installed the same way.

The OEM bulb retention is much better!