ok heres a couple things

1)My head unit is def compatible with CD-R/RWs cuz it sez right on there and also there is an lcd light that would light up that sez "directory", and "filename". So i burned a fuckload of mp3's to a CD-RW, prolly as many as it could fit, way over 100, popped the cd in the head unit, and it just sat there. it played nothing and it said i had one, huge blank 80 minute track. Why??? I didnt test it any other way, like putting on a plain CD-R or using less files but still the damn thing shoulda worked.

2)My easy cd creator does a wierd thing (v4.02d). i can just make a playlist of MP3's and it just burns them straight to the CD in the aiff format. I remember a while ago i used to have to convert the files myself and it took FOREVER, then i could burn it. I know its converting it but its just burning them straight from mp3 into that format without any additional wait...how???

go for it, its only one cd you've wasted. i can guarnatee 99% it wont work though if it doesnt say its compatible with MP3's. just like if u put an mp3 cd in a discman or tabletop unit thats older and not compatible with it, itll sit there and not do anything

Yeah, I'm 99.999% sure that if it plays MP3's, it'll have "MP3" silkscreened on the faceplate somewhere. It's a pretty big selling point.

However, if your changer is an Alpine, I know many of the new Alpines play MP3 CD's. Pricey though! That's why I went with Pioneer... well, that and Pioneers have that cool OEL display.

fuckin shit, i just realized i think its actually not MP3 compatible, which is pathetic. I saw "CD-RW compatible" and assumed they meant MP3's because, why the fuck would you use a CD-RW for a regular audio cd...you cant play them anywhere but the computer!!!...But im still curious as to why i have those 2 directory and filename lights when i cant play mp3's

Guest TurboSedan

2)My easy cd creator does a wierd thing (v4.02d). i can just make a playlist of MP3's and it just burns them straight to the CD in the aiff format. I remember a while ago i used to have to convert the files myself and it took FOREVER, then i could burn it. I know its converting it but its just burning them straight from mp3 into that format without any additional wait...how???

i used to have to rip cd's to .aiff first, and then from the .aiff file i could compress it to an .mp3 file. that took forever! that was before i got MPegger, which reads the cd and creates an .mp3 file by itself. it first 'imports' the tracks, and then goes thru again and compresses it. creating mp3's is much faster now that i use MPegger, altho i think it's a mac only program. there should be some nice programs that do the same thing for PC's too.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
fuckin shit, i just realized i think its actually not MP3 compatible, which is pathetic. I saw "CD-RW compatible" and assumed they meant MP3's because, why the fuck would you use a CD-RW for a regular audio cd...you cant play them anywhere but the computer!!!...But im still curious as to why i have those 2 directory and filename lights when i cant play mp3's

my Pioneer is CD/CDRW compatible too. i never really make CDRW audio discs tho. i suppose they could be useful if you wanted to constantly re-burn the same disc over and over again with a different mix of music or something, but since CDR's are so cheap anyway i never really mess with CDRW discs. man i wish Pioneer would update their 1.5 DIN CD players. i bought my DEH-P77DH almost 3 years ago and they STILL sell the same model. i want a car mp3 player bad but i really want to stay with the 1.5 DIN size...

joshua

my Pioneer is CD/CDRW compatible too. i never really make CDRW audio discs tho. i suppose they could be useful if you wanted to constantly re-burn the same disc over and over again with a different mix of music or something, but since CDR's are so cheap anyway i never really mess with CDRW discs.

exactly. a CDR is so cheap compared to a CDRW your better off just making a new cd 3 times over with the differences you wanted rather than redo one CDRW 3 times. Plus i noticed CDRWs scratch if a dust molecule flies over them, they scratch way too easy

I Have about 4 CD RW's in my 6disc mp3 cd changer, and say its the best way to go, with MP3's and disc changers, cause you won't be handleing them too much, but if your putting it in a head unit, you prolly gonna scratch them like :lol2: said, so i would stich with CD R's in that case!!

People are more likely to break into your car if you have a custom radio than a factory one.

Taylor

I agree, and am on the lookout for a cheap ($20 or less) ETR to replace mine with the broken cassette player. Auto sound and security systems are pretty low on my list of budget priorities right now.

Before replacing the factory radio, would do some upgrades that were invisible to thieves, then add an alarm system:

* trunk mount remote control CD changer with RF adapter to play thru factory radio, but

* upgraded speakers

* trunk mount subwoofer & amp

Have a 1993 Chevy Cavalier AM/FM/Cassette ETR, but the pin spacing on the connector is just slightly different than the plug in my 88 Cutlass dash. :( Would have to do surgery on the plug to make it fit.

Guest TurboSedan
People are more likely to break into your car if you have a custom radio than a factory one.

Taylor

I agree, and am on the lookout for a cheap ($20 or less) ETR to replace mine with the broken cassette player. Auto sound and security systems are pretty low on my list of budget priorities right now.

agreed, but there is still such a thing as detatchable face plates. i never really have to worry about removing it here in Laramie, but when i go to Denver i will at least detatch the faceplate and stick it in the trunk. it also has a red led light that blinks when the faceplate is removed....i guess to simulate an alarm system or something. my BIG problem with factory stereos is that they don't have much for a display. that's the same reason i upgraded my instrument cluster really.

joshua

creating mp3's is much faster now that i use MPegger, altho i think it's a mac only program. there should be some nice programs that do the same thing for PC's too.

iTunes.. that's what I use. I'm able to rip full CD's at 160 kb/s, and they are organized all nice on my hard drive. It's free too.. unlike any PC ripping software.

As much as I love Alpine, their entry level MP3 head unit is $400 ($295 on ebay) which includes a remote, 3 preouts (one sub), XM, the whole 9 yards, however it only controls the AI-net changers, which is the type that supports CD text, CDRW etc. The changer I have is the MBus type which is more than suffieient, but if I want to play MP3's I have to ditch the whole current system and go with pioneer, which is NO complaint!