My Dead 3.1

91oldscutlass

Well I woke up this morning all ready to pull the motor out of my Cutlass. Something kept nagging at me about spending all that time swapping motors. I knew it wasnt getting gas in the back of my mind. After 4 fuel pumps that for some crazy reason kept going bad, I decided to sit and read everything that everyone responded to when I first had my problem. Well I was told by a couple of you guys that maybe that damn fuel regulator may have taken a shit...but I had 52 psi at the rail. So I decided to change the whole rail. That wasnt it. When I say the whole rails that also includes the regulator. Then I thought maybe the igintion module may have went bad again. That wasnt it. That left one more thing for me to try. I put new injectors in and YEE HAW it runs again! Thanks for all the input before guys...I appreciated it! This gave me time to sit and think and it gave me the answer!

glad to hear it

did u put in stock injectors?

im thinking of changing mine, theres an awful ticking coming from my top end, and it cant be the valves, at least i hope not

its a steady tick too, and i have read about our injoctors being noisey, but its a constant thing

thx

No I didnt have the money for the hi po injectors so I had to go stock....My injectors werent even noisey...they just quit for no reason as far as I could see. They are a bitch to get out of the manifold.

No I didnt have the money for the hi po injectors so I had to go stock....My injectors werent even noisey...they just quit for no reason as far as I could see. They are a bitch to get out of the manifold.

what kind of gas do you use? Speedway gas was used in my car, and it clogged the fuel injectors. don't use cheap ass gas, it will fuck up stuff

im gonna start going middle grade,

thing is its soo damn expensive to fill up!

i didn't mean grade, i meant brand. if mobil or bp gas is 1.80 a gallon, and speedway gas is 1.50 a gallon, there's an obvious difference in the quality of the gas

i go to the local race tracks for my gas and get 102 octance fuel :twisted: for 2 bucks a gallon :lol:

in my area that's cheap

92 octane premium at the pump is 1.95 here

if you have a N/A 3.1, or a stock 3.4 (no an air filter and exhaust doesnt count), run 87 every time, you wont ping, your car wont die, just buy a bottle of fuel injector cleaner every 3ed tank or so. Yes GM from the factory put in a self cleaner into the injectors, but it runs out within 50k.

I run 93-94 in the TGP even though it only needs 91 just because its 3 cents more then 91. a 3.4 with a chip and/or been retimed might need 91, but no reason other then that to run anything higher.

-Jeff

I used to get my gas at Hess before they all packed up and left Georgia. Now I use QuikTrip and BP a lot. My car is not very picky on gas. It'll run on just about anything as long as it's 87 octane. There's no point in putting anything higher in a non-chipped, naturally aspirated 2.8/3.1/3.4/3800. It's just a waste of an extra twenty cents each gallon. These cars were designed to run on 87, leave it at that. But, if you'd like to pretend that you're getting extra horsepower, and your engine is burning cleaner, by all means use 93. It's not my money.

The only time I drive my Cutty is to and from work. SERIOUSLY, if I go anywhere, it's in the TGP. I was putting Premium in the car and I thought, "What the hell, let's try the cheap shit." I have been getting 3mpg more than premium. Riddle me that batman. I was driving the TGP but I HAVE to put premium in that, and it gets 15MPG. :evil: But it's so fun to drive.