My 3.4 DOHC burns oil, dammit!

GnatGoSplat

See subject.

It was 2, maybe almost 3qts low yesterday. 12% left on the oil life meter so the oil probably has 3000-miles on it. The oil level didn't even reach the dipstick. Almost a qt every 1000 miles is not good. I noticed yesterday when my wife started the car that it smoked for a split second right when she started it (just like our rickety old lawn mower). That's what made me think to check the oil. It's been like this since we bought it, I just now thought to mention it.

What kind of adapter am I gonna need to get my compression gauge way down deep in those spark plug holes? I'll probably just check and top off the oil every 3-weeks, but just curious if anyone else has this problem and whether it's more likely to be rings or valve stem seals? If it's rings, I guess she'll just drive it till it quits!

I got a regular compression checker from autozone, cost me $30 I think. Just brought a spark plug in and matched it up to the threads that I needed. Half of the hose on the compression tool ends up inside the cam carrier and head but it is just long enough that you can check the rears fairly easily.

My car did the exact same thing, about 1qt every 1000 miles. This was when I first bought it and had conventional oil in it. After the second Mobil 1 oil change it stopped burning oil completely.

I know you are pretty knowlegeable about maintaining the 3.4dohc but sometimes we overlook the simplest things.

be sure you dont have a slow oil leak. check under the car every morning helps to park on some clean cardboard to be sure

possibly the O-ring? the exaust manifold will burn the oil if hot enough and get rid of any evidence of leaking.

also i had a problem where i would blow white smoke(burning oil) when i stomped on it and new timeing belt fixed that problem.

i hope it works out ok foryou.

how many miles are on the cutty? 130k?

Nope, no leak at all, the garage floor is clean and the block around the oil pump drive is dry as a bone.

I might have to try some synthetic in it. :lol:

PCV and probably the oil control plate under the lower intake. It has a PCV in it as well and I think it is what is causing my car to suck up oil. Easiest way to stop it is to just pull the PCV from the top, cap the plenum, and go witha K&N. I want to fix mine but i capped it for now till I finish the rest of the car.

My car has burned oil for a solid year, I think it was after I changed to Mobil 1. Always does it at start up, so I'm thinking valve seals? But my car is a piece so w.e.

-Tony