Mac

After doing some reading of some of the threads, I have come to see why my car shakes as it does on braking. So now I have seen the problem, now I am onto the research to fix it. Now I am not all that familiar with brands of parts and places to get them and stuff (being as my last car was a metro...the ACDelco parts were good for me). But I was reading one of the threads and someone had mentioned when it came to rotors and calipers, not to go cheap as they just wear down faster and will need to be replaced sooner anyway. Now I have a '90 Cutlass Supreme...I have also read about going possibly to the '94 or newer parts to help with the problem. So how would I go about that? Also, which brands are going to be the ones to go for and the ones to avoid? Price will probably be an issue when I get ready to go ahead and fix this, but I will cross that road when I get to it. I will probably not be able to afford top of the line stuff...but will definitely want quality parts. Thanks for any help...

do i sense a project in the works?

first one of its kind.

as all the others have involved car audio or computers.

the biggest thing i have gathered about brakes is that the cheap ones suck big time.

and that carbon metallic pads (or whatever they are called) work the best.

i think the price comes into play as to where you get them. locally or online.

when i checked at checker auto in grand forks they had rotors for 20 each and then the next ones stepped to about 35. the guy knew nothing more than that. and they offered none that were drilled for our car.

now pads started at 20 for a set and went up from there.

again he was unsure of alot.

which really sucks as i was loaded with Q's but he had no answers.

so i am holding off for now. at least til i can get smarter about this.

from reading the tutorials and stuff it looks like something i can do.

and it even seems like i have all the tools to do it with.

so mayb we can do this at the same time?

Monty

Hey you know me...always up for a new hobby...and this would definitely help the car I am sure...shaking as it is can't be good for it.

I think a project could be in the works...I just want to get some more insight into what brands and parts and then start to look for cost... :D

Performance friction carbon metallics for pads, and for rotors, well I have $25 each rotors on and theyve barely warped for the year Ive had them. Seems like they warped because of the cheap ass $20 pads I had on, they sucked so bad they overheated all the time to stop!

i have taken great notice of the brake fading in the last couple weeks.

trust me it is hard not to notice.

just driving around town it starts to show within about 20 minutes.

guess i should do the brake thing first.

Brian those Performance friction carbon metallics you mention...is Performance the brand name?

as far as brands go i remember hearing about Raybestos years ago. and they are still around. coincidence or good product?

how much of a difference do the slotted or crossdrilled rotors make?

is it any more money to do the 94+ conversion than it is to just simply replace what is on there now with same year parts?

Monty

The 94+ upgrade involves swapping out the 88-93 rear discs and calipers for the redesigned rear discs and calipers used 94-96 (up to 99 on Monte/Lumina).

Yours should have rear disc already, the only W-bodies to get rear drums was the 95-99 body style Lumina and Monte Carlo.

i have been wrong before, but i could have swore when i was under the car doing the fuel filter i saw drums.

it is too late to see anything now.

will have to look tomorrow

Monty