2.8-3.1/Auto-Manual swap??

supreme_style21

I've got an '89 GP 3.1 auto sitting at home. I have the chance to pick up an '89-90 GP SE w/ the 2.8 manual. The 2.8 is fried. I want to swap the 3.1 in place of that 2.8. What kind of troubles am I going to see trying to mate up the 3.1 with the manual?

Perfect!

edit.. now that I've dug around a bit, I see that the 3.1 was also equipped with a manual? Never knew that. Perhaps this one has the 3.1. The guy didn't know.. he said he just picked it up as a repo. All he knew was that it was a five speed with a 2.8 or 3.1. If everything checks out, I'll be picking 'er up.

All I know of is I think you will need the computer chip from the manual car, and wire up the VSS. I think the '88s were a problem (from reading here on the board) cause the chip used a MAF, so if its 89-90 you got the right one. :wink:

Guest TurboSedan

my 1st 282 came from a GP with a 3.1/5-speed. besides modifying a hole for the clutch master cylinder and using a hole saw to drill a hole for the shifter cables, everything else completely is bolt in. swapping to a 5-speed is VERY easy for pre '94 W-bodies.

HEY

holla my way when you do this.

i want to get down and dirty too.

since i plan on having a W for sometime would be nice to get more knowledge and experience with them.

Monty

The only thing I'll be doing is dropping my 3.1 into this new car with the manual. It sounds like an easy task, from what I hear so far, which is cool, cause I'm completely new at swapping mechanical parts.

Monty, I'll let ya know! I'm waiting to hear back from the guy. He picks up cars CHEAP from people that don't want 'em anymore. Usually, whoever has the car has some kind of problem with it, that they misdiagnose and want to get rid of quickly. Last one he picked up was a nice Bonneville. Owner thought the transmission went out, sold it to this guy for like 75 bucks. The guy put a new CV shaft in and it was as good as new. This GP supposedly has a bad engine and/or tranny. He said both door handles are busted, and he just hasn't gotten time to look thru it yet. Once he does, he'll let me know the price and I'll have to decide from there. Hell.. he wasn't 100% sure it was even a manual. He said he thought it was, and that it had a 'cool computer' in the console. Thats all he knew at this point. It sounds like a great project for me.. but money is going to be the deciding factor, sadly. If I have to eat bread and water for the next 2 months, so be it. But if it gets to be more than that, I'll simply have to scrap the idea.

well considering i need to tear the 3.1 down in my cutlass for head gaskets i am all for learning as much as i can.

have never swapped things so it would be a nice learning experience.

Monty

I'm doing my swap right now, I'll try to take pictures as I go. I'm ripping out the dash cause it's all warped and replacing it and the column. Sure makes changing the pedals a whole lot easier when you take out the pedal pan.. :lol:

I was at the shop till midnight pulling the 3.1l/Auto out of the Lum.

That tranny is huge compared to the 282. I still need a couple parts which I will get in the morning. Hope to have it back together next weekend as I doubt I'll have time during the week.

That would be excellent if you took pictures. Hopefully this is a project for someone stupid like me, I've got a few buddies that'll help, but they've never changed trannys around and whatnot.

last fall when i did my lower intake was an experience.

had never tore into the engine bay before except for minor things.

got alot of help from this place.

now i am just waiting for decent weather on a regular basis so i can do the head gaskets.

both on my 90 cutlass 3.1 4spd auto

i sure am game for this Justin.

Monty

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update.. this sure isn't gonna be happening. I went and actually checked out the car this evening. Its a '90 SE. White, moonroof, quad buckets.. everything. The engine is seized, like I was told. But the rear taillights were smashed out, the front quarter and driver door were all dented up. The interior looked like a pack of rats and mice had inhabited it... seats were all tore up and the rear was sunrotted.

I was told it was a manual, which is the only reason I was going to pick it up.. but turns out the guy was mistaken. It was an auto. Screw it.. this one can go to the yard.

If he wants less than 100 bucks for it, I'll pick it up and go from there. Otherwise, no go.

i wanna know where the hell you people are finding all of these manual w-bodies. I live in milwaukee and haven't seen or found one yet. :(

nick

i dunno

i have yet to see one in person.

heard of them talked about, but yet to see one.

now remember we are way up north from Milwaukee.

thief river falls is 300 miles NW of the twin cities.

Monty

how in the hell could you mistake an auto for a manual?

Monty

Beats me.. the guy I was buying it from said he hadn't looked inside it. He basically does repo's on the side and this is one he picked up. I don't know how he got the idea it was a manual.. he told me right away he wasn't positive it was. But all-in-all, its not. I think I'm just going to have to send the '89 to the yard once I chop it up. I hate sending that good running engine to the graveyard.. it almost feels like.. murder.