Manual cooling fans

93 Grand Prix

I was wondering how do I make my cooling fans come on when I turn the ignition switch on. Is there a downfall to doing this? I want both fans to come on at the same time, with the ignition. What wires goes where? I read the w-body site about manually cooling fans, but I want no switch. Please let me know about problems this will cause.

I dont think it's really a good idea to run them as soon as the car is started. First off they won't be doing much any cooling at all until the thermostat opens and coolant starts circulating through the radiator. Plus all the extra time the fans are on will shorten their life exponentially. However if you really want to wire it that way, all you have to do is rewire the two relay sockets so the "turn on" +12V reference signal is wired up to something that is "hot" in run only

Very simple!

Just substitute a wire in place of the switch, and voila! Fans on with ignition on.

One downfall other than what Brian has mentioned, is that at highway speeds, you don't want the fans running at all.

Before I put that page up, I got a lot of requests for manual fans, but to this day I still don't understand it. :lol:

well i have mine hooked to a switch. where it will run the way it would or i can flip the switch and it runs. by the way out of the question is my car suppose to have 2 fans cause i see the holes for one but i was wonderin if i am or not thanks