i'm new and lookin at buyin a 91 Lumina Z34.

TSabr88

hello, i'm new here. and i was wondering if anyone could help me with a "hydroed" 3.4 Lumina motor. i am completely comfused on the term the guy used and what exactly it means. i'm also confused on what needs to be done to the car. he says its the only problem it has. it looks good other than a few broken gfx pieces and a few dings. thanks for any and all help, Jake

If the guy means 'hydrolocked' that would mean that the one or more of the cylinders got filled with coolant which doesn't compress and something maybe blew or got bent. Hard to tell exactly what is broken without taking it apart. If it's in good shape otherwise and cheap it may be worth it though. As long as you plan on doing the work yourself and not paying for it.

Hope this helps, good luck!

That'd be cool to have a '91 Z34. I don't know about the hydro'd thing though, sounds like alot. That was the first year for the 3.4 DOHC, so it has the most problems...make sure you look it over REALLY good for possible problems before you buy it.

thanks for the help. by any chance would you know if the Tranny would work in a 88' Buick LeSabre? the tranny in my T-Type couldn't handle me racing it and quit on me after 193,000 faithfull miles! between the motor and the body on that Z34 i would rather use the trans while rebuilding the motor and fixxin up the body. then also rebuild my Buick tranny while drivin the Buick with the Z34 tranny. but thanks again, Jake

no the 3.4 use the 4T60E tranny

so it wouldn't bolt up and work? my Buick uses the 440T4. i'm not exactly sure on the differences on them but externally they look exactly the same.

The 4t60E is electronicly controlled, and it uses a different wiring harness and an Ecm with more SRAM for tranny controls. It won't work without some dedication.

last time i checked...'hyrdoed' means the engine picked up water through the intake and dumped it in the cylinder thereby locking it up. the best thing to do is pull the plugs and turn the engine over to expel the water. pour a small amount of oil in the plug hole and put the plugs back on. try and start the car and if it starts, listen to it for abnormal noises.

I'd be careful buying a motor that drank a bunch of water, depending on circumstances it may be a complete loss but without ripping it appart you'll never know.

thanks for all the help! i'll go out and try it later on. i can pick the car up for 200bucks and the guy is willing to let it sit in his yard for a while. he said the cause for it being hydrolocked was because a mechanic changed the injectors and forgot to put some coolant pipe back on and also didn't refill the coolant. is he talking about the TB coolant line? i'm not exactly sure of everything on these motors. thanks for all the help, Jake

the mechanic didn't drain the radiator but he unhooked coolant lines on the top end of the motor and let it bleed out there. how hard are the back plugs to get to? thanks, Jake

the mechanic didn't drain the radiator but he unhooked coolant lines on the top end of the motor and let it bleed out there. how hard are the back plugs to get to? thanks, Jake

on the 3.4 its a pain in the ass to get to the back plugs, but is doable. you can either pull the intake off, kind of a pain in the ass, but easy plug access...or....rock the engine forward and get one of those angle extensions for a socket driver and get them out that way after the engine is rocked forward and held in place.

• 2 weeks later...

If he ran the engine without coolant to the point that it doesn't run I'd say it's toast and if not I would not buy it, unless you really want the car and are ok with rebuilding/replacing the old motor.