Tranny is like its i neutral????

firefighter_0029

I have a 1992 Buick Regal Custom with a 3800 series 1 motor. Ok, here's the deal (this is weird). Sometimes when I'm driving the car in OD the car feels like it goes into neutral when I dont come to a complete stop and get back on the gas. But if I drive it in drive instead of OD nothing seems to happen it drives fine. The only thing I can think of is some of the older cars had a torque converter lockout. Is this the problem? Anybody got a clue?? RedTurbo90 has not a clue? :lol:

RedTurbo90 has not a clue? :lol:

He doesn't know the answer!! Oh no! What are we going to do? :twisted:

Sorry Red, couldn't help it.

But just to add, my car has been doing the same thing lately but only for a split second, and then she goes. The car also did it right before I bought it, so I had the dealer replace the fluid before I got it. THen it was good. It's about time to change the fluid again.

Ohhh.. Lucas trans stuff is bad for them, they clog up the small tubes in the trans...

here's the issues with the 125c/3t40, and the 440t4/4T60, and 4T60-e ..

when stopping, and even turning real hard the car can slip "out of gear" when this is not actually happening, and you are staying in gear, the fluid pulls away from the "turbine" side of the torque converter, causing it to not actually turn the internals of the transmission until the pressure can rebuild.

reason #2:

trans fluid turns to varnish causing excessive play in all your valve body valves and chambers, with excessive play they will tend to allow gravity/inertia to move the fluid rather then the pressure driving force (the pump) on a side note this is also why they tell you not to change your trans fluid when it gets too old, as trans fluid is a very good detergent and will remove the varnish left between the valve and it's bore causing the fluid to "slip by" (for lack of a better term) around the valve creating poor shift quality or excessive time to shift into gear.

reason #3:

not enough trans fluid in the clutch pack circuits (hydraulic circuits) causing once again inertia to take over

reason #4:

back to the valve body, if your trans has been overheated too many times it can weaken the springs in the valve body not allowing it the proper time to shift into it's correct gear and what you're hearing isn't actually an out of gear condition, you're just hearing the torque converter doing what it does, slip real bad because you're in the wrong gear.

personally I'd ignore it and replace the trans when it dies.

I hope that's helpful, even though it's less then technical.

--Dave

I think I'll at least try the flush and fill.

Something about replacing a Tranny when I suffer from the broke-ass college student syndrome....don't seem like it'd happen.

I've been thru more 440t4's then I can count anymore, altho it was a joy with my first Z34 it was a 91, I loved it so much mostly because it was all under warranty when I got it back in '96 so I got 'em to replace the transmission 6 times, rebuild the engine once, and then finally replace the engine (because the crank had so much endplay it would take out the trani's well 5 of them at least) and the whole fuel system, from the pump to the injectors and everything in between. I was awfully hard on that car, ever seen them spit the pinion gears outta the FWD differential thru the side of the trans case ... I have :) I think GM warranty companies hate me.

I've been thru more 440t4's then I can count anymore, altho it was a joy with my first Z34 it was a 91, I loved it so much mostly because it was all under warranty when I got it back in '96 so I got 'em to replace the transmission 6 times, rebuild the engine once, and then finally replace the engine (because the crank had so much endplay it would take out the trani's well 5 of them at least) and the whole fuel system, from the pump to the injectors and everything in between. I was awfully hard on that car, ever seen them spit the pinion gears outta the FWD differential thru the side of the trans case ... I have :) I think GM warranty companies hate me.

:shock:

You're never driving my car

.. I only beat that car so hard because A) I knew I was going to sell it, and B) it was all under warranty, once they replaced the engine and the trans at the same time, I was super nice to it tho. besides, I was 19, and since then I get $500 cars to kill them ... but then again, I'm going to baby this $600 car that I just picked up.

--Dave.

my regal did the same thing only when i stopped and went to take off again it would rev like it was in nuetral then jerk into drive, i replaced the tranny mount, motor mount, torque mounts and the fluid and filter and the modulator, then it stopped acting like it was popping out of drive, hope this helps, Regalized