Most HP out of 3800 Series II

W-Body Geek

Is there anyway to get the most HP out of your 3800 Series II engine without using a Turbocharger,Supercharger,and NOS.My engine is Non-Supercharged,so here are some of the stuff I'm going to get...

High Flow Catalyic Converter = 8hp(about)

Other Guy's Exhaust Headers = 20hp(about)

SLP Exhaust System = 10hp(about)

SLP Aluminum Roller Arms = 10hp(about)

I'm also getting some Comp Cams,MSD Ignition coil,etc..

Just wanted to know some other info,if I'm missing anything..

My buddy knows a guy that can get the 3800 II N/A upto 300 HP w/ no problems. It's High C/R, cammed, don't think it's got an untouched bottom end, but it's possible. I am building one for my nephew to run circle track races in. Probably stick it in a Cutty or GP.

How much are you willing to spend. If you have a lot of money, you can run 13's or maybe even faster, but without dumping a lot of cash into it your not gonna get too far. High 14's at best before getting into the serious $$$.

However....this would help you out quite a bit... :twisted:

http://www.zzperformance.com/zzp/products/engine/l36_41l_stroker_kit.htm

If you don't want to dump that much cash into it, just go to http://www.zzperformance.com and they have A LOT of stuff for your car. Then after looking there (because I believe that they have a lot of little cheap things that would help you out significantly) then you should visit http://www.intense-racing.com and check out their stuff, and then 3800performance.com.

Hope that helps.

Shawn

i think we all need to shoot ourselves if we are going to spend $56426426426854124.22 on making our cars run 14's!!!!!!!!! moderately fast and reliable is what the W-body is about...... why try to make a 12 second car out of a family car...... thats GAY

Here's a page that lists alot of the aftermarket parts.

http://www.3800performance.com/vehicles/grand_prix_97_03.htm

Which ones from beloew do you think are the best spark plugs for the 3800 series II? I am needing some new ones.

- AutoLite Copper Core Spark Plugs

- AutoLite Double Platinum Spark Plugs

- NGK V-Power Spark Plugs

- NGK Race Spark Plugs

Here's a page that lists alot of the aftermarket parts.

http://www.3800performance.com/vehicles/grand_prix_97_03.htm

Which ones from beloew do you think are the best spark plugs for the 3800 series II? I am needing some new ones.

- NGK Race Spark Plugs

NGK are good plugs

Ummmm dbtk2 you want to check your image host they are threatening your account.

I know, and I can't do anything about it. How my host works is I have so many "points" to post pictures with. When I run out of points it will still allow me to post pictures but it puts the message in the bottom that has been there for a few weeks. If I get more than 500 negative it puts the message that is there now there. So I went in and deleted some pics to get some points back, because thats what I'm supposed to do to get my points back, but I have now deleted like 50+ pictures and I have even more negative points!!! I am really pissed!!! Looks like its time to find a new image host...oh well.

i think we all need to shoot ourselves if we are going to spend $56426426426854124.22 on making our cars run 14's!!!!!!!!! moderately fast and reliable is what the W-body is about...... why try to make a 12 second car out of a family car...... thats GAY

Your opinion is your own and I respect that, but I do agree that dumping a bunch of cash into an N/A W-body is stupid because you spend a lot of money and don't get far. I do however think that if you put a power adder on any w-body it would be the only realistic way $ wise to go fast. You can have a very reliable fast car if you do the right things to it. My dad has never been stranded in the GTP and it starts the first time he turns the key every time, gets VERY good gas mileage, and its still a full weight car with all the interior and insulation so it is still a nice quiet cruiser. I don't understand why you think a 12 second family car is gay, they call it a sleeper, but its your opinion. And they really suprised Corvettes & F-bodies and such. Everyone has a fast Camaro or fast Corvette, how many people have a 11 or 12 second w-body??? Every time we have gone to the dragstip (besides w-body events) at least one person, but usually numerous people, are very suprised and very impressed by it. They are struggling to hit low 13's in their dedicated V8 race car that they have to trailer to the track, and we drive 70 miles there and pull off mid 12's in a front wheel drive V6 with minimal cool down time. IMO it is a lot of fun. Obviously you could buy a much faster car for cheaper, but is it going to be as much fun, and is it going to be as streetable? Probably not.

Thats my opinion.

when was the last time you saw any car besides the TGP run really decent times with either a 3.1 or 3.4 bc L67's don't count.

I believe this guy was asking about making his 3800 powered w-body faster. And I have personally raced N/A 3800 Powered FULL WEIGHT GP's that run mid-high 14's. The closest race I have ever had at the dragstrip in the TGP coupe was against a N/A GP GT...that was a good race! And the guy didn't have much done to the engine. He had completely stock internals except for rocker arms. And I think he had a completely stock exhaust with no u-bend or something to that effect.

And this year there will almost definately be at least one N/A 3800 powered w-body in the 12's.

Shawn

- NGK Race Spark Plugs

AC DELCO 41-932 plugs are highly recommended too!

I dont know if you have ever heard the SLP exhaust system in person but its loud, raspy and godawful. I recommend sticking the GMPP exhaust. The system consists of 2.5" stainless steel, mandrel bent cat back. The system can be purchased on http://www.gmpartsdirect.com. The system is nice and mellow, but has a very nice rumble to it. The system is actually made by Magnaflow, but its debadged so that GM can sell it. Lastly the GMPP system runs for 419$ + 100$ shipping which is rape, but still a hell of alot cheaper than the SLP system.

Here is a pic : 124986171.gif

SLP 1.8 rockers are shit. Go to the Intense racing website and check out their new Generation 3 1.9 roller rockers for L36 and L67 engines. They run $400 a set, but they are extremely high quality and alot better than the SLP's.

Here you go again : gen3rock_350.jpg

I'm also getting some Comp Cams

Are you really sure you wanna cam the car? Buying rockers then getting a cam means that you will have to take the rockers back out and stick with the stock ones. Stick with rockers for now, they are a tit install and you will be happy with the the gain, especially in the higher end of the power band.

MSD Ignition coil

For igntion, theres no better replacement coil than the stock coils believe it or not. MSD coils give you no gain whatsoever, unless you like the pretty red coil. Save your money and leave your stock coils on the car. AC DELCO coils are very good quality and tend to last for a long long time on cars even past 100k miles. This goes the same fot spark plug wires.

Hope this helps you out, if you have anymore questiions, you know where I am. - Mark

I dont know if you have ever heard the SLP exhaust system in person but its loud, raspy and godawful. I recommend sticking the GMPP exhaust. The system consists of 2.5" stainless steel, mandrel bent cat back. The system can be purchased on http://www.gmpartsdirect.com. The system is nice and mellow, but has a very nice rumble to it. The system is actually made by Magnaflow, but its debadged so that GM can sell it. Lastly the GMPP system runs for 419$ + 100$ shipping which is rape, but still a hell of alot cheaper than the SLP system.

Here is a pic : 124986171.gif

SLP 1.8 rockers are shit. Go to the Intense racing website and check out their new Generation 3 1.9 roller rockers for L36 and L67 engines. They run $400 a set, but they are extremely high quality and alot better than the SLP's.

Here you go again : gen3rock_350.jpg

I'm also getting some Comp Cams

Are you really sure you wanna cam the car? Buying rockers then getting a cam means that you will have to take the rockers back out and stick with the stock ones. Stick with rockers for now, they are a tit install and you will be happy with the the gain, especially in the higher end of the power band.

MSD Ignition coil

For igntion, theres no better replacement coil than the stock coils believe it or not. MSD coils give you no gain whatsoever, unless you like the pretty red coil. Save your money and leave your stock coils on the car. AC DELCO coils are very good quality and tend to last for a long long time on cars even past 100k miles. This goes the same fot spark plug wires.

Hope this helps you out, if you have anymore questiions, you know where I am. - Mark

i disagree about the plug wires

mine were bad at 87,000, and for $40 and not much time why not?

your car won't be any faster, but it will idle better, and in the case of my car, not shudder in overdrive.

- NGK Race Spark Plugs

AC DELCO 41-932 plugs are highly recommended too!

Its not a GTP so I'm not sure that he would want 41-932's. The reason people run those on the GTP's is so that they are colder, therefor reducing KR. Usually KR isn't much of a problem on the GT's, especially after minor mods such as CAI & Rockers.

I agree that SLP 1.8 rollers are a waste of money, but I wouldn't waste $400 on the Intense rollers either. The MIGHT gain like 2hp over the regular 1.9's, and thats a maybe. Is an extra 2hp worth $100? The three fastest stock cammed L67 GP's have regular 1.9 rockers. The extra $100 can be spent elsewhere.

DEFINATELY keep the stock coils!!! Aftermarket coils aren't any better, and they fail a lot more often from what I have heard. They are a waste of money. Stock coils are your best bet. They provide PLENTY of spark.

However, the stock wires are good wires, no doubt, but if you are going to change the plugs or anything this tends to wear out your wires, not to mention the stock wires are a PITA to get off. Putting on aftermarket wires makes plug changes easier, and if you get a different color it can make it look better too. But it isn't going to help your performance any, so do power adding mods first.

And I definately agree the SLP system sucks. I have found the Borla, Dynomax, and GMPP systems to be pretty good. I like them all. However, if you don't mind the stock sound, you can just replace the pipe from the cat back with 2.5" pipe until the split and it will flow as much as any aftermarket exhaust is going to, and its going to be a lot cheaper. And if you do want a different sound you can change the mufflers too. If you want to keep the stock mufflers it isn't going to hurt performance any because they flow well enough to go well into the 11's.

Shawn

Its not a GTP so I'm not sure that he would want 41-932's. The reason people run those on the GTP's is so that they are colder, therefor reducing KR. Usually KR isn't much of a problem on the GT's, especially after minor mods such as CAI & Rockers.

We have a local guy who has a 98 GT and that thing is a friggen KR pig for some reason. After rockers, intake, PCM and 932's the #'s greatly went down after that when I scanned it with my L67 Scanmaster.

yeah i heard that. He is going to get a 350 z or a STI when i talked to him the other week. Do u know him? I really have never gotten along with Tony, though hew has been my neighbor for 20 years

yeah i heard that. He is going to get a 350 z or a STI when i talked to him the other week. Do u know him? I really have never gotten along with Tony, though hew has been my neighbor for 20 years

He is actually getting an SRT-4 Neon. (I think he was supposed to pick it up today IIRC) I don't completely understand that one (since his lease buyout for the GP would've been cheaper than the Neon), but its his decision. I don't know him personally, but I have talked to him on the forums and him and my dad were having a "Friendly 40th" competition this year with track times. They went back and fourth all year having the fastest 40th anniversaries, then it ended dead even with him having a higher trap speed.

Shawn