96 Cutlass Supreme - misfire problems - HELP!

berettav6

Working on a 96 Cutlass Supreme SL4. 3100/4T60E, 117k miles. Was brought to me with a bad misfire, flashing SES light. Hooked up scan tool and found misfire condition on cylinder 6. Swapped the coil pack, no luck. Replaced all of the coil packs with known good spares, new plug wires and all spark plugs. No dice, still a misfire. Finally bit the bullet and bought one brand new injector and some plenum gaskets. Tore the plenum off, pulled the rails. All the injectors looked nasty but replaced number 6 only. Bolted everything back in. Fired it up after clearing codes, and ran really nice!! Sent my friend on his way, and two miles down the road it started running like crap again, SES light on, then flashing etc.

So today he came over and we bought 5 more brand new injectors, replaced all of them, new plenum gaskets again, etc and cleaned everything up.

It runs crappier than before!!! It misses real bad at idle, under acceleration it hesitates BAD, then once it winds up to 4,000..5,000, etc RPMs it pulls NICE. Any ideas???

I would probably agree with the rest that it may be the ICM or ECM.

I had the same exact problem only on cylinder 1. It sounds like you did everything else you should have and exactly what I did. However, I am not really sure how I resolved my issue since I decided to change my #1 injector and all plugs/wires at the same time, so not sure which may have been my problem. I also tested my coils and they were alright and cleaned the plate they sit on. My next step was either the ICM or ECM. My car had 69K on it when the problem came up.

I don't think a dead ICM will cause one cylinder to die. The coils are in sets so it should cause problems in at least two cylinders.

A friend had a similar problem (the entire front bank wasn't firing) and it ended up just being bad spark plugs. He had some old BOSCH platinums in there and once we switched those out it ran fine.

I don't think a dead ICM will cause one cylinder to die. The coils are in sets so it should cause problems in at least two cylinders.

A friend had a similar problem (the entire front bank wasn't firing) and it ended up just being bad spark plugs. He had some old BOSCH platinums in there and once we switched those out it ran fine.

Well, there was a post in the TGP section about 2 days ago where a guy changed all his coils and had ONE bad cylinder.......and the ICM was to blame. It happens a lot

Well, there was a post in the TGP section about 2 days ago where a guy changed all his coils and had ONE bad cylinder.......and the ICM was to blame. It happens a lot

:werd: