Manual shifter cables too close to downpipe

skalor

Ok, I know there are a couple of 5 speed people out there and I'm wondering how close your shifter cables are in relationship to your downpipe. My shifter cables run right below my downpipe are they are a little close for my comfort. Now, I haven't installed the turbo yet so that might raise the downpipe up when it's all bolted together. I'm just wondering if this was a problem/concern for anyone. I'm using a getrag 284, but from the pictures I've seen the getrag 282 linkage is in the same place and the cables seem to run the same way. Anyways, any input would be appreciated. :)

Yeah, I figured I'd wrap them with some kind of reflective heat tape or make a heat shield. I'll probably go the tape route as that easier than making a heat shield. :)

I was very concerned when the tranny and motor was out of the car and seeing the path that it would need to run. Once you install everything the shift cables are pushed far enough away from the exhaust that you will be safe with or without wrapping them. I have not heard anyone complain of melted or misformed cables from the turbo downpipe... 8)

You know there is a way to rebuild those cables for longer. If you wish I'll dig up the company that does it. They only need to endpieces and the fittings that hold the cable to reproduce it to your length specifications.

Let me know

Adam S.

It's not that they are not long enough. It's where they are mounted on the tranny. I'm going to take a picture later so that you guys can see what I mean. I don't really think that there will be any problems, I was just wondering if anyone else had the same concerns. :)