4T60 and shift kits.....

SmoothSteve3

Hey everyone-

Do ya'll know much about any shift kits or other major improvements for my 4T60 in my 1990 3.1 Lumina? I just hit 100,000 miles, and the shifting is starting to get a little rough....so I guess that its time to get my tranny reworked.

I know that the 4T60 isn't a strong transmission, since it cant really handle a lot of horsepower.....so I figure that I'll go ahead and beef it up as much as I can.

Thanks

SmoothSteve

You're best bet is to first change the fluid and filter, if you havent done it recently. If you think its never been changed, then change the fluid and filter, and since you only get about 1/2 the fluid changed that way, drive teh car for a few days then change it again. That should get most of the old fluid out.

If you have done that and your vacuum modulator is good (just take it out and if there is fluid inside, its bad), then it should shift pretty clean and crisp if something internal isnt wrong. If that stuff doesnt work, your accumulator springs may be broken (heard about that happening from a guy) and his shifts were rough, changed the springs and shifts wonderful.

Before you go ahead and change the tranny fluid you should check the condition of it. If it's more brown than pink, don't change the majority of your fluid, just loosen the pan to let a few quarts out.

If you change the tranny fluid when it's already brown, tranny performance will not improve, if anything, it will get worse.

- Justin

Just to add to the 4T60 discussion...someone on the TGP board emailed level 10 and they offer a "PTS"(another company I believe) 4T60 transaxle that can handle ~600hp/600 lb-ft of torque..the price for everything was up around $3K if I'm remembering right. They might offer other beefed up 4T60's so it might be a good idea to shoot level 10 an email about it if you seriously want a beefed up tranny.