Olds Cutlass Supreme Brake Light Problem

jjrecchia

Hi there:

I have a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with the 3.1L engine. The brake lights on both sides will not turn on. The 3rd (middle) brake light still works and the tail lights also work. The turn signals also work. I have checked the fuse in the glove box labelled "stop" and it is fine. I have replaced all tail lamp bulbs with no results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

You have a bad turn signal switch. I have had good results just cleaning it and bending out the contacts, but whether you do that or replace it, you will have to remove the steering wheel to get to it.

what does the turn signal switch have to do with brake lights? How come the center light still works but the two brake lights don't. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand how the system works.

It's because GM uses those stupid combination stop/turn lights on all the W-bodies except the Grand Prix.

When the turn signal switch is centered, it normally connects both taillights to the brake switch.

When turn signal is pushed up, it leaves the left taillight connected to the brake switch, but connects the other taillight to the flasher so it can blink.

When turn signal is pushed down, the process is reversed.

If you jiggle the turn signal switch with your foot on the brake, you may see one or both brake lights turn on or flicker.

This wouldn't have been a problem had GM used separate brake and turn signals like the Grand Prix's and all European cars.

hey shawn:

One other question, how do you actually get this switch out? Do I have to actually remove the steering wheel or just some trim around it.

Thanks,

Jon

You actually have to remove the steering wheel. :(

You can get a steering wheel puller from Pep Boys for around $10, or I've heard you can rent them too.

Once you get the steering wheel out, there's a few TORX screws holding it in at the top. I'm not sure if there's anything to snaking the harness out, because I've only ever just cleaned mine and bent the tabs to make better contact.

just watch that airbag!

Disconnect the battery...or pull the fuse for the airbag like I did. Fuck safety. Become a better driver.

j/k.

just watch that airbag!

Disconnect the battery...or pull the fuse for the airbag like I did. Fuck safety. Become a better driver.

j/k.

that is cool and all but ya cannot predict the other idiots on the road.

:)

Monty