Bypass Kit

Steath_Lumi

I was on ebay (I love that place) and read about a Bypass Kit for the 3100. Acording to the auction, GM ran a coolant line through the throtle body and when the coolant heats up it warms the incoming air, they wanted like $20 for this kit and all it is, is a hose, but does this, or can this work. If it does I could do it for like $3 myself. :?:

yes you can buy hose for it at the local part store this has been covered many times

but the reason it is there is so the TB does not crack in cold climants (thats what i have heard here)

Has this ever actually happened in the cold? (why wouldn't they put them on every TB?)

I've seen the throttle body freeze on different vehicles due to the Venturi Effect.

Due to the throttle body plate, the air pressure is reduced by the V.E., the temp does decrease.

Then when condesation is added, that's how the throttle can freeze either WOT or idle, and anywhere inbetween.

- Erik

Has this ever actually happened in the cold? (why wouldn't they put them on every TB?)

I've seen the throttle body freeze on different vehicles due to the Venturi Effect.

Due to the throttle body plate, the air pressure is reduced by the V.E., the temp does decrease.

Then when condesation is added, that's how the throttle can freeze either WOT or idle, and anywhere inbetween.

- Erik

freezing throttle body isnt a good thing, i suggest keeping it on in the winter, and maybe devise some type of valve system in the summer to hook it up to so you can open it in the winter to keep your throttle body at operating temp and keeping the engine in its place, and then when summer rolls around you could close it so it bypasses the TB and you wont get that warming up the air