air intake

ismellrealbad

anyone know where i can find an air intake for my car? i looked all over internet and cant find one. K&Ns site just brings me to filters and i can find no other sites with them or for my car

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gpse3200

• JPaganel

• ismellrealbad

• stlunatics2oo3

I have the email address of a guy on sounddomain that says he can get air intakes especially for the w-bodies, I asked him for a price on an intake for my 3.4L, and he came back with $100 with a filter attached. I'm beginning to think that it may be cheaper to find a way to build my own, but if you're interested in the intake, send me an email or a message on here and I'll give you the guys email address.

There is a seller on ebay that is selling the "cold air intakes" for first gen w-body cars. They are going for around $50 plus $16 for shipping. I had thought about purchasing one but haven't yet.

I sell intakes for basicly all 1st gen W-bodies. RedZMonte@hotmail.com

I make intakes for:

2.8L MPFI

3.1L MPFI

3100 SFI*

3.4L DOHC*

3.8L Series I*

3.8L Series II & S/C*

* indicates both Standard RedZ intake and ColdZ cold air intake. ColdZ intake comes in your choise of colors

Standard RedZ intake:

dohcintake3.jpg

Installed:

dohcintake1.jpg

ColdZ Cold air intake:

3100coldz3.JPG

installed:

3.4%201.JPG

Powder Coated Red:

red38coldz.JPG

This Fukn Basterd keeps ripping off my pics and selling it off as his own. look at his pic then look at my pics.. Look Familiar? I asked him not to use them but he still does.

i-1.JPG

MY ENGINE PICS:

pollydb2.jpg

RedZ

Hmm.. I should email him about the pictures too.. He's using an original picture of mine in that image collage. It's upside down, but that's still the picture I took when I put the intake on the Lumina a long time ago.

here is my MPFI intakes if you MPFI guys are interested. I can powder coat it any color you want for an additional $15US.

2.8L/3.1L MPFI With MAF

88cuttyintake.gif

2.8L/3.1L MPFI With MAP

mpfi1.jpg

mpfi2.jpg

RedZ

anyone know where i can find an air intake for my car? i looked all over internet and cant find one. K&Ns site just brings me to filters and i can find no other sites with them or for my car

I'm just telling you only because I driven your car before you bought it and I liked the way how it ran, if you put anything on that particular engine other than what is there, you aren't going to like it. Sure the engine will be louder but you'll go slower, esspecially from take off. Beleive me I tested this shit at the track, this particular engine doesn't go for aimless un directed air quantity as much as velocity, it doesn't respond very well to shit like that. The air box caters very well to the standard V6 as the snorkle is a venturi. As far as cold air is concerned, getting it from behind the headlight like that is cold air. The twin cams benefit from using the cone filters, I also I don't think the air box was ment for them but I can't image them having the same bottom end using a cone. Anyways One the best things you can do is use an AC Delco Air filter, get some RTV and seal up the bottom creases in the air box, like around the snorkle and stuff like that. I wouldn't even recommend a Kand N dropin for the '89+ because they pleat it the wrong way and even that hurts the performance. Yeah you'll do better with a stock air filter than and Kand N drop in. If you want your car to move faster, I can help, its just you'll have to get a touch intensive with it.

<<feels like the bad creep

Have you noticed any appreciable power gain or fuel economy? Also, how much are you asking for the 2.8/3.1 MPFI version?

As for power it definaly makes a noticeable gain. RSMracing claimed 10hp on the dyno. my intake is simmilar to theirs so you should expect the same gains. I did a filter on my 2.8L beretta and noticed a gain over the stock setup. fuel economy should also increse. as long as you don't floor it all over the palce to hear the Grawl.

e-mail me for info. i don't want to clutter up the board with business stuff.

Shane

RedZmonte@hotmail.com

the only motor I can't speak for is the Quad 4 and the 3100. But the 2.8/3.1 and 3800 for sure I know don't like that shit.

I have many happy customers that would beg to differ. it wouldn't matter if you have a DOHC or a pushrod. its all doing the same thing.. Breathing in more air. All motors should show a gain with a less restirctive intake system.

Shane

I'm just telling you only because I driven your car before you bought it and I liked the way how it ran, if you put anything on that particular engine other than what is there, you aren't going to like it. Sure the engine will be louder but you'll go slower, esspecially from take off. Beleive me I tested this shit at the track, this particular engine doesn't go for aimless un directed air quantity as much as velocity, it doesn't respond very well to shit like that. The air box caters very well to the standard V6 as the snorkle is a venturi. As far as cold air is concerned, getting it from behind the headlight like that is cold air. The twin cams benefit from using the cone filters, I also I don't think the air box was ment for them but I can't image them having the same bottom end using a cone. Anyways One the best things you can do is use an AC Delco Air filter, get some RTV and seal up the bottom creases in the air box, like around the snorkle and stuff like that. I wouldn't even recommend a Kand N dropin for the '89+ because they pleat it the wrong way and even that hurts the performance. Yeah you'll do better with a stock air filter than and Kand N drop in. If you want your car to move faster, I can help, its just you'll have to get a touch intensive with it.

<<feels like the bad creep

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, I would like to know the physics behind your statements. I would think that a less restrictive intake would increase power and performance. Please look at this as nothing more than my quest for knowledge. Thanks.

ok im getting kinda frustrated now. I kinda need to know if this intake is going to help or hurt me because i plan on doing certian upgrades in a specific order. granted not very soon, but i still have plans.

1)hi flo cat

2)intake

3)low temp therm

4)chip specially designed for mods such as those

Im hoping maybe to hit 150-160HP here. I wanna be able to at least beat my friends fuckin firebird

wow looking at this makes me think...man I would like an CAI but I looked at my car acouple of weeks ago and I have a CAI......from the factory so if you could find someone who did a custom pipe on there TGP or STE you could get one done up nice.....I just wish it wasnt made so cheap....I would like the have a metal line insted of that cheap stuff what ever it is plastic rubber and what not...I also wish the pipe was a little bigger insted of that 2 inch pipe they have I would like a 3 inch or bigger...but I'll live untill I get my new motor finished....

Not every motor likes the same thing, directly. Some like more speed of air than quantity. The way the 2.8/3.1 is setup is that it likes a venturi effect based on how the intake is really ment for torque production. It likes the have the air speeded up for the best combustion. Having more air coming in is fine unless its forced in or if the engine itself is doing it either though a cam or effective porting.

The twincam makes more power with basically nothing on the TB. But the 2.8/3.1 use the ouside intake as a means of air velcity. If you don't beleive me, take the air box out a drive down the street with it, you won't like it one damn bit. All I can say is that I went down the track with a cone filter and I lost 1-1.5 seconds on my quarter mile. I tried using a cone filter again on my new setup and my car littereally fell flat on its face, its just doesn't work well with this intake. This box is far from restrictive, in the right motor. Try it without the airbox for a hot second and you'll see what I mean. It'll be loud but that's all it will be. If there is on thing GM engineered well for this motor its was that air box. I can speak only for the W cars.

thats a good idea. when i get the chance im gunna pull the filter out and turn that top part of the airbox upside down and drive it around the block and see what i notice. i dont give 2 rats asses about the sound, im looking for just quick gain of power. if i notice it sucks then i wont buy the shit. thanks

I remember who snappy your engine was. I recommend taking the whole box out, leave the air duct though. Then test it.Not that its hopeless to get more power its just more intesive to.

i wanna know were you got your info from, besides just your experience, like sources, webpages, other people cuz it sounds more like opinion rather than fact. I do, however, agree wit you on some points in your view, like the hot air from the radiator, but then again you could simply put a heatshield, wether already made or make it yourself...ill post the pic on how i have my intake setup using a WeaponR intake with the top of the original airbox as the heatshield...

Not every motor likes the same thing, directly. Some like more speed of air than quantity. The way the 2.8/3.1 is setup is that it likes a venturi effect based on how the intake is really ment for torque production. It likes the have the air speeded up for the best combustion. Having more air coming in is fine unless its forced in or if the engine itself is doing it either though a cam or effective porting.

The twincam makes more power with basically nothing on the TB. But the 2.8/3.1 use the ouside intake as a means of air velcity. If you don't beleive me, take the air box out a drive down the street with it, you won't like it one damn bit. All I can say is that I went down the track with a cone filter and I lost 1-1.5 seconds on my quarter mile. I tried using a cone filter again on my new setup and my car littereally fell flat on its face, its just doesn't work well with this intake. This box is far from restrictive, in the right motor. Try it without the airbox for a hot second and you'll see what I mean. It'll be loud but that's all it will be. If there is on thing GM engineered well for this motor its was that air box. I can speak only for the W cars.

If anybody has put too big of a carburetor on a motor, they will have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.

Alright already, I've got a 3.4L, I want a better looking intake than a filter rigged onto the stock intake tube, I talked to the idiot using RedZMonte's pics, and don't like his price. $50 is more reasonable on eBay, but I still want some prices. Could I possibly get one?

I'm an Automotive Engineer...................If thats not good enough for you than I don't know what is.

Personally, I believe you. Now that that is out of the way, can you explain why it works like that , or at least point me in the direction of an explanation of the theory behind this effect? I'm not doubting, I just wanna know why. If I find out, I can further my reputation of an exceedingly smart guy and impress all the chicks with my superior automotive knowledge... :D