3100 Upgrades... uhhh

fleetwoodguy79

Well, serious debate in my mind here... Ive been looking to do the 3800 swap, or maybe just mod the 3100 I already have in my GP. The poor thing only have 60k on it, and runs like a clock! Anyone know if I could do some potentually large upgrades to the 3100 instead of swapping the 3800? What has everyone done to theirs out there? Big HP difference? Thanks for your help all!

Chris (GPXSS) on the 60-degree V6 forums has his 3100 running low 15's which puts it on par with a stock TGP and a hair quicker than a stock 3.4 DOHC.

Pretty darn impressive for an N/A 3100 engine... I think they run 18's stock!

With the right stuff you can make the 3100 really haul and all you'll need is about as much money and alittle more time to do it over exchanging an engine anyways. GPXSS I agree had a most impressive setup. He used a 3100 intake on a GEN2 block, his car was very impressive, loads of bottom end with plenty of top end. Sounded great too. If you've worked with engines before, you can make this one quick really easy.

I've been wanting to ask which way my Flow Tech glasspack should go in...(which way the scallops inside should point). My Bike has them with the cuts facing rearward, ie: flow would run over the smooth edges rather than impinge on the cutouts.

But now guys on the Monte forum are talking about installing glasspacks backwards...on purpose. Ideas anyone??????

Oh yeah, my Flow tech "Purple Hornies" ain't purple anymore. It came out of the box with flaked off paint all around it. Course grit cardbaord??

Anyway it's hi temp silver now.

Brian P.

How would you install it??

Thanks.

My brakes are 1/2 done but at least the new rotor is on. Smooth braking now. That rotor was major bad. Glazed rust!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely keep the 3100 SFI man! That engine can be great with a little TLC. Check out my site. Like anyone else I have a list but it is slowly getting shorter, and I have covered a lot of ground. Just consider it'll probably cost less and take less time to mod the 3100 than swap it and the swap is for a basic model of the 3800 SC. A modded 3100 can kick a 3800 SC's butt!! Trust me... I haven't even gotten the major stuff done yet and I've only lost once. Anyways, just my opinion...

I recommend keeping the 3100 and doing some work to it (I am rebuilding and replacing my 2.8L with a 3100). One thing that has not been mentioned yet is the fact that there is a LOT you can do to the 3100, but you are limited to what you can do to the 3800. The only real performance item for the 3800 are the things that have to do with the supercharger. Also, there will be a LOT less wiring by keeping the 3100 than swapping in a 3800. If you want to go by time, then in amount of time it would take to swap in a 3800, and get it wired, do troubleshooting, you can rebuild the 3100 and make it fast. It seems to me like it will be the same amount of time, but I do not want to do the wiring (before I bought the 3100, I was thinking about the 3.1 Turbo, and the 3.8 SC and non-SC).

taylor

Guest TurboSedan

i say keep the 3100, definately. like Taylor says, you will be way ahead since you won't have to rewire everything to use the 3800. for 3100 mods, i would..........TURBOCHARGE & INTERCOOL that sucker!!!! get a custom crossover made with a T3 flange, bolt on a T3 from a Turbo T-bird or something, weld up the firewall side exhaust manifold, use a TGP radiator/intercooler, MPFI electronics (i've heard SFI offer little/no performance increase) and TGP PROM, manual boost control, DSM 1g BOV, and maybe even add a 5-speed..... with a little work and some money, me thinks a turbo 3100 would walk all over a turbo 3.1 and a 3800SC.

joshua

While it is still fresh in my mind, I have been looking at 5-speeds, and the Getrag 282, and Getrag 284 are only good for 200 torque, so I do not recommend them for a custom engine, or an engine with forced induction.

taylor

Guest TurboSedan

the Getrag is underrated. there are plenty of people putting the 282 behind LT1's, Northstars, 3800SC's etc. in Fieros, turbo 3100's (Mick), turbo 3.1's (TGPilot, Eclipse5302). Eclipse5302 was pushing close to 300ft/lbs of torque thru his and i don't think he had any problems. the only area of concern would be a GOOD clutch. i think the Getrag 282 would FAR outlive a 4T60.... maybe it's just me....

joshua

I got my info from the site that does cadillac northstar V-8 conversions into the fieros. they say that it is only good for 200, and they say to go VERY easy with it. I think that it might be underrated as well, but I am going to be cautious about this. If I am to put one in my car, and it blows up, I will REALLY be kicking myself. I feel BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. Until I get hard facts, I am going to shy away from the 5-speed (not knocking them here. My first Oldsmobile was a 1989 Cutlass International with the 2.8L, and a 5-speed, and I loved it except for the fact that I went through 3 clutches in a 6 month period).

taylor

for now, the auto will be PLENTY strong. I agree. The 5-speed is better left suited for back home in Texas where there is only 5 traffic lights in the town, rush hour is only an hour long (6 am, and 4 pm) and you only have traffic when you go into the bid cities like Houston. I only plan on doing a swap (MAYBE. STILL UNDECIDED, and LEANG+ING TOWARD NOT DOING IT) IF I blow up the auto tranny that I am putting on the new motor.

taylor

I am debating the same thing, I think I have decided to stick with the 60 degree engine though. I have a 3400 from a 96 U-van, I'm gonna build it over the winter and hopefully turbo it and have it ready for the summer.

One thing's for sure the wiring will be a hell of a lot easier and the cost will be way less, here in Canada anyway's. Parts are a lot easier to find too.

What do you guys think about putting a 3.4 topend from a 2000 grand am on with 20,000 miles then puting the t-25 turbo on that with the 125c tranny with a performance kit in it? 3.1 block. Or do you think putting the whole 3.4 engine in with the turbo would be better. I can get a 3.4 engine with 20000 miles on it for free. Might have to put pistons in to lower compression so don't have detonation but that is no problem. What do you think?

Turbo or not, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Funny though, on my drive home today I got the urge to get the 3100 heads, intake and exhaust manifolds and TB (with cables of course) from the junkyard and stick it on my 3.1 block, and run it as an MPFI. I'd like to go all out and get different pistons, new bearings and rings but Ive been doing 3000-3500 mile oil changes for the last 95,000 miles (engine has 175k now) the block is in damn good shape and it's still running strong, compression is in spec and oil pressure is high. I'd rather leave well enough alone just for the reason that I need the car for commuting, and if it breaks down, I'm screwed. Just by doing the 3100 upper end swap, I shouldnt run into any complications if I keep it all stock.

I have a tgp and i am putting that stuff on my z24. Because i hate rice fags and i need some speed sometimes. But i am putting new pistons, cam, rings in the engine. Just put them in your engine and buy a shitter car that works well enough so if something does happen to your car you have back up. I have 2 cars myself, my dad has 4 but selling 2 or 3 so i have plenty of cars if my car breaks down. If you have back up you have now worries. I know the 3400 heads and intake flow alot better than the 3.1 but will it make that much of a difference if i am running around 300 hp. Do you think it will add a substantial amount of power or not? I don't have the 3400 yet because my dads work doesn't know if they are giving it away or not. Hoping tho!! But what do you think?? Thanks~Ryan~

So, question. Ordered new intake, throttle body, and looking for new exhaust. Who out there has some good sounding exhaust for the 3100? Been looking at flowmaster, good or not? Now next question for everyone is, after this intake and exhaust, what can I do next? I'm getting my computer reprogrammed, supposedly it adds 14 extra hp. I'm a newbie to this thing, so if anyone could help me out on what to do next, THAT WOULD BE WONDERFUL! Thanks!

It depends on how much work you want to do. If yu can get a motor from a 2000 or newer, then you can get a 3100 (or 3400) that has the roller rockers, and roller lifters. You can change out the pistons, get a custom cah shaft, porting and polishing (you do not really need to get a valve job done becaus the newer motor comes with a 3 angle job already done to it). After the block, cam, and intake/exhaust is done, you can get the larger throttle body, and they even make a supercharger for it (although that is the most expensive at over $4000).

Taylor

he hardest part is going to be getting all of the stuff (if you go to the junkyards alot). It is hard to find cars with that motor that still have the motor in it.

Oh yeah. I am running 2 1/4 inch pipe from the cat back, with a "Y" going to dual Flowmasters, and I LOVE the sound. Nice, and LOUD. Very deep with a slight rasp to it. My current motor is a 2.8L with no work done to it except for the cam, and the upgrade to STOCK 1989 programming.

Taylor

Guest TurboSedan
What do you guys think about putting a 3.4 topend from a 2000 grand am on with 20,000 miles then puting the t-25 turbo on that with the 125c tranny with a performance kit in it? 3.1 block. Or do you think putting the whole 3.4 engine in with the turbo would be better. I can get a 3.4 engine with 20000 miles on it for free. Might have to put pistons in to lower compression so don't have detonation but that is no problem. What do you think?

i'd rather use a T3 since you'd have to have a custom crossover made anyway. just wonderng, why a 125C?

joshua