1988 PONTIAC MCLAREN TURBO PROTOTYPE for sale

95GTP

That thing is cool! I would change the paint though! And I thought the prototypes were supposed to have 5 speeds? But the article does say something about it having the different turbo and intercooler! :twisted: Sweet!

Guest Anonymous
I think its the prototype prototype. More for the drivetrain from what I can tell.

The prototype to have IMO is the Grand Illusion one. 5 spd etc.

Chris

And the GTA rims... I love that car.

I would change the paint though!

Are you serious? Do that and the value would probably drop in half. I wouldn't touch it. It's perfect just as is. I would love to have that car. There's another lottery purchase for when I win. 8)

I would change the paint though!

Are you serious? Do that and the value would probably drop in half. I wouldn't touch it. It's perfect just as is. I would love to have that car. There's another lottery purchase for when I win. 8)

if I hit the lotto first, it's mine :wink:

I think its the prototype prototype. More for the drivetrain from what I can tell.

Chris

Anyone know where any pictures of that is??? How many of them are there???? I would really like to see a few good pictures of one....

Chris

Anyone know where any pictures of that is??? How many of them are there???? I would really like to see a few good pictures of one....

go to the site in Chris A.'s sig, I believe he has a picture of a magazine or something that the prototype was in..it's red one w/ the blacked out GTA crosslace style wheels w/ the high-polished lips..looks hot!

EDIT: click here http://aldridgec.home.att.net/images/gallery/TGPProtosm.jpg

EDIT AGAIN: :oops: ..on closer inspection, the wheels *might* be gold x-laces afterall..I can't tell for sure though.

Its in Vegas Baby!! Only one of these made, its actually VIN’d a 1988, ran the Pikes Peak and beat the Proto-Type Syclone for stock factory class (Syclone is a bit too heavy). Turbo is stock, intercooler and intake box hand made, roll cage, some gauges, digital dash, ECM box has McLaren sticker on it as does the chip. Fuel cel/no tank, cat then straight and I mean straight pipe after that, other interesting stuff. Peterson Pontiac did the final assembly before it raced, someone else bought it after that and still has all the documents of the Pikes Peak Race etc, did not pass it on to the new owner who is selling it now.

Jeff M

Are there any other pics of the red prototype besides just that one??? God i would pay a lot of money to just sit in that thing! I wish they would have kept the GTA wheels for us, they look better!

is it just me or did that thing also have a different x over pipe?? i couldnt see the copper heat shield on that it looked to just be a black pipe. :think:

If you are talking about the underhood picture on the collector's page...that is the upper radiator hose you are seeing that is black... 8)

Someone told me there is a red pace car TGP(if I'm remembering right) in a museum in North Carolina..know anything about that one Jeff(or anyone else)?

There is a Red TGP Pace Car in a Museum in Detroit Michigan, something I want to hit when I go back to visit my home town, and McLaren again, they offered me to check out their folder on the TGP/TSTE project, and to check if there was indeed some 6000 STE/AWD Turbos done as there has been mention of 25 of these, all this history info should be all that is left for my web site, unless I can get some better pics of a custom convertible TGP I saw once. Mr. McCoy of McLaren drove a white TSTE for 6 years before it got crushed, they had to have one at their facilities for a while since they were the final producers on the drivetrain, and any emissions issues.

Jeff M

That's pretty god damn cool. Not hard to tell it was the R&D car, it even has the regular 3.1 plenum 8)

Yeah, you really think that's the regular 3.1 plenum? Take a closer look :shock:

Yeah, you really think that's the regular 3.1 plenum? Take a closer look :shock:

What is different about it? I am pretty good at those "6 changes to the scene" type cartoons and I am not seeing any difference in the plenum. Any clues? :wink:

One of these things is not like the other one of these things does not belong. The 3.1 Mult-Port FI is cut INTO the plenum, whereas production, they remove the metal around it. Is that it oh masterful one?

My wifes uncle worked on the TGP when he worked at Mclaren. The Test Car he Drove the Vin Said Turbo1 on it. I found all of this out over the Christmas Brake from work. he said he wish he knew a few years ago that I was in to car so much. He had 8 Turbo kits for the TGP at his house. He said the car he drove had close to 400hp. His son was tell me about it also. He said he missed that car. It was a red.