LS4 swap begins

carkhz316

Posted (edited)

20210710_172814.jpg

20210711_180916.jpg

20210712_195810.jpg

Sorry I haven't been back for awhile. I'm still making progress, slowly but surely. I was waiting on all my engine parts, and still waiting on the clutch kit, though I was informed as of 7-19, it was "shipped". We'll see. Anyway, The engine is mostly assembled. I completely tore down the engine harness to rebuild from scratch. I can't go much further as I'll be integrating it with the existing Z34 chassis/ engine bay harness. I wanted to get as far along as I could before filling my garage with another car.

Edited by carkhz316
  • Like 2
On 6/27/2021 at 7:37 PM, Bake82 said:

Hey!  

Thought I’d pass along this info

TJ Hurrell on LS4 Nation Facebook group is in process of installing ls4/4t65e-HD in a 95 Grand Prix.  He has been posting some pics and small details.  

he has used the gxp subframe with spacers to make the subframe the right height.   

He had to bang the strut tower a little to fit the alternator.  

GM moved the ls4 to the drivers side 1-2 inches.   

I am thinking you will run into some major clearance issues if you try to keep the trans in the stock location.   

wonder if it would be easier to use aluminum subframe and have a mount welded on for the trans and then have custom length axles made?    Not ideal but might be the only option ?  

Just wanted to pass this along and point out TJ build on the Facebook group!  

Thanks for the heads up. I lurk the LS4 page and have seen his progress on that GP. It looks like a pretty cool rig. I have been hoping to be able to use the stock steel subframe as everything is in place besides the holes for the front motor mount. I haven't seen much success with custom axles either; though I suppose I've not really pursued that route before. I will be fabbing up a rear engine mount out of steel to replace the factory LS4 aluminum engine/ trans mount. I am a little concerned about the clearance front/ belt drive of the motor. I knew it would be tight, but I was hoping that massaging the strut tower would be the extent of the fitment issues. I guess I'll find out how bad it will be.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:10 AM, carkhz316 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I lurk the LS4 page and have seen his progress on that GP. It looks like a pretty cool rig. I have been hoping to be able to use the stock steel subframe as everything is in place besides the holes for the front motor mount. I haven't seen much success with custom axles either; though I suppose I've not really pursued that route before. I will be fabbing up a rear engine mount out of steel to replace the factory LS4 aluminum engine/ trans mount. I am a little concerned about the clearance front/ belt drive of the motor. I knew it would be tight, but I was hoping that massaging the strut tower would be the extent of the fitment issues. I guess I'll find out how bad it will be.

For sure!   test fit first and then see how big of a hammer you need! 

If you need help with custom axles, I have a local shop who built me mine for my 3.8/282 swap (reatta OFA didn't work).  I paid $100cdn for it.  I supplied the 2 ends, they did the center shaft.   It has worked perfect for 3 years, 5-10,000miles.  

• 2 weeks later...