After Market Spark Plugs

RareGMFan

Ok, I think I just found out that my plug wires are the originals from '90 :shock: (they're still numbered 1-6 on the wires), so I would like to replace the plugs and wires this weekend. I have already selected the Magnecor KV-85 #6540 for the wires. As for the plugs, I'm still not sure yet. I know certain types don't work too well on the turbo motor. I was wondering what anyone thought of the NGK V-Spec TR5 series. They're reasonably priced, but are they any kind of improvement over the stock Delcos? Will they work ok? Any other suggestions besides forking over $40+ for Irediums (which is not out of the question, yet :wink: )?

I did a search, but the topic always seems to veer off into different directions from the originally posted question before an answer is acheived, like do NOT buy platinums. That much has been established, but what SHOULD I get?

I've used both NGK TR5 and TR6's as well as the stock AC delco and honestly can't tell a difference.

Oh, I've put my TR6's through hell (lean misfiring, oil fouling from the damn tranny vacuum line, rich misfiring, oil fouling froma bad PVC valve, etc) and they seem to be working fine. Being that they are some of the cheapest plugs they are the ones I buy :D

Yeah, I didn't see much of a price difference at all in the Delcos vs. the NGKs, so I figured if they're even the slightest bit better, I'd go for it.

AcDeclo's are my vote. No other plug has shown an improvement in my experience. The original rapidfires seemed to idle a little smoother, but now they aren't made the same.

Having the original plug wires isn't a bad thing really.

stock delco's are the way to go. gm motors like deloco plugs. the stock delco's are the coldest plug you can go allready (for the delco's). only reason i would think about switching would to be so i could run a colder plug if you where running more boost then stock. My plugs are doing good and i am seeing 10psi.

Shane

Having the original plug wires isn't a bad thing really.

I agree. My 90 LE has 130,3xx on it right now, and it's still running on many original parts...including the plug wires 8)

what's different about the new rapidfires? I have 6 that are going in soon I got from pepboys over the summer. Blue box with gold stripe and "8" in red.

no1kicker: The new Rapidfires are now platinum, and although there's some debate on this, the concensus seems to be don't run platinum spark plugs on turbo equipped motors!

RedZMonte: I just sealed the deal for a Jeff M Top Gun chip (to hold me over till the bigger injectors/turbo/chip package is released), so I'll definitely be running above stock boost. It's not that I don't think Delcos won't hold up. I was just wondering if anything would increase the performance without hurting the car.

If I find the Irediums at a decent price (seen them go for not too much on eBay), would those be suitable for the TGP motors?

I actually ran standard A/C delco plugs on my engine until recently. I swapped to the NGK irridiums (paid like 6.00-6.95 for each) simply because I was trying to improve the high rpm spark. They are good plugs in my application (high rpm), but not sure if you would see improvement on a more stock rpm 3.1.