ZZP L36 supercharger kit?

KnightOwl

Has anyone here used this kit? It seems like a fast, cost effective way to get some quick and easy ponies from a very solid engine.  I know sentiment about ZZP tends to vary, but if I get this 2002 GP I'm looking at, this might be an option.

No don’t buy that. Complete waste of money. Do it correctly. You can do it for less then $600. You need the heads, blower, LIM fuel rail corresponding pulleys and a tune. I’ve got a gen 3 blower with LIM fuel rail and injectors and various gaskets id sell you if you wanted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It is massively overpriced shit. Kyle is correct, go to a junkyard and grab what you need: ICM/coil bracket, valve covers, heads, LIM, blower, vacuum lines, fuel rail w/ injectors, crank pulley, accessory pullies, MAP and all the bracketry on the back of the blower, all the bolts.

Depending on what yards are around you, you could probably get the swap parts as cheap as $250.  For the $1,800 (fucking INSANE) that ZZP wants for the SSM90 kit, you're most of the way to a turbo kit, which has infinitely more potential than the heatpump Eaton.

Yeah pulling the heads sucks, but I would use that time to throw in some 1.9 rockers and the valve springs to support them.

The link to the site for the GTX is blocked here at work.

I admit the ZZ kit is pricey, but at the same time each of us has limits to what we can do in our garage (or driveway)...and for me, pulling heads is something a shop would most likely get. That aspect sheds new light on what becomes cost effective.

I've read in several location that the turbo is the way to go for performance, but honestly, I don't care for the sound of a turbo, where the blower whine is more appealing. The kit looks like something that could be done in an afternoon vs "who knows how long" for me to pull parts at a salvage yard, bring them home, prep, and re-install. I agree its not the cheapest or even the best solution, but then again I'm not racing the car or looking for all out performance...just a bit more kick to make things fun.

no way id buy that sm90 kit.  

head removal is nothing, the rockers, dont be scared, you just tq the new bolts down, no setting a gap or adjustments, slap em in and tighten em down.  

each head has 8 bolts, the exhaust manifolds are another 6 each iirc once the lim is off its all right there for the taking.  and if you ask me, if its your first time out on a lim job, thats gonna take you longer to get apart due to all the plugs and vac lines and fuel rail. thats your first step into scary ville. after teh upper intake is off, its just bolts. 

if you must go this route, get a l67 balancer, coil bracket, tensioner and idler and run a normal pulley and 2 belts. the ssm90 set up only uses the one belt and its a weak ass looking set up, no wrap on the pulley at all, just rides over the top of it really. 

and you need a tune as well. cant run a na tune on a top swap. you could find a pcm from the same year car you have that came with a supercharger and run that. but a tune will help out more. 

• Like 2

Honestly since you haven't actually purchased a car yet starting out with an L67 car makes the most sense financially.

snap, keep looking then!!!!!  not sure what car your looking at, but theres a number of cars that came with the l67.  i was close to getting a monte ss or a park ave unltra.  but a second 3800 made no sense, where a 4x4 does. 

This year I scored a knocking SS in nice shape for $1750, 3 months of polishing metals and I did a top end rebuild on a low mile L67 for it. I built it for my Girlfriend, and she doesn't like it so it'll be up for grabs in the spring I think.

Everyone always forgets about the MCSS and Indy500 cars^^ it seems.

I think they had the best seats out of the blower WBody's...not to mention a legit analog boosty gaugey thingy that goes up the faster you goo.

People, for some bizarre reason, seem to want a massive premium for the 04-05 L67 Monte SSs than any other W car. Like an insane premium. Thousands of dollars more.

god forbid its got a nascar drivers name on it, price goes up more.

and not all SS cars had a l67. talk about a messed up option list.

• Like 1

I didn't know a 60* was optioned for them. it seems like every time I see a century it has a 3.1. And everytime I see anything else it has a 3.8. for some reason I thought the 3.4 was dead by then

i was looking hard for a monte, seems base models got that pos 3.4 the rest got the 3800 na, a few seem to have gotten a l67, seen dale jr car na and a loaded leather and all SS with a na 3800.  brainless gm BS. 

and they think they are made of gold. last one i went to look at was like 6 grand for a 05. the pics looked ok, then i got to see it up close, paint was all f ed up, the bumper was cracked, and the rocker cover was missing, so i look under it and someone went off road hard with it, rockers all dented up. 

get this part, then the guys telling me theres a 1500 fee on top of the asking price that they wont budge from,,,,,,,see ya, thanks for wasting my time. 

at least this truck i got i chewed em down 1500. no hidden fees, just the price we came to, tax and document fees, aka reg title, dmv crap no one wants to do. got out the door for less then most around heres asking prices with more miles. 

hurry up and get that car knight owl! haha (partially joking!) I'm actually contemplating this swap too. Only thing holding me back is the nearly $500 I put into re-valving and completely restoring the current heads. Not to mention I'm still dreaming of turbo....

Someone please explain to me why you’d put an LS1 with a 4T65E?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GM lacks any common sense.  guess it was all they had at the time.