camaro/firebird wheels

no1kicker

I could get some firebird wheels for free. Would 5x4.75 wheels have a chance of fitting on a w-body? Just need to move the parts car out of the garage...

I could get some firebird wheels for free. Would 5x4.75 wheels have a chance of fitting on a w-body? Just need to move the parts car out of the garage...

Anything is possible with enough money. In this case it probably wouldn't be worth it. There'd be 2 different ways to get them to bolt up.

One way would be custom made Adapters (spacers). These would bolt to the existing hubs (maybe shorter studs on the hubs would be needed) and would have studs that are spaced correctly for the F-Body wheels. These could also be made with a center register that would match the center hole in the F-Body wheels. I would imagine they'd have to be 1/2" to 3/4" thick, which would push the wheels out too far. They'd probably cost a couple hundred dollars. Also, spacers are not usually recommended for high speed or autocrossing (greater chances of something breaking off).

Another way would involve modifying the hubs on the car. I wouldn't recommend it, but provided there was enough material there, another set of holes, correctly spaced for the other wheels, could be drilled in the flange. This would weaken the flange, and if the holes were too close to the edge, I wouldn't trust them. This couldn't be done accurately with just a hand held drill. To do it, you'd probably have to take the hubs to a machine shop. Even after all of this, the hub's center register probably wouldn't match the center hole in the F-Body wheels.

I don't have any specs handy, but if the wheels were from a 3rd gen F-Body, I would imagine they'd have too much negative offset (would stick out too far). The 4th gen F-Body wheels' offset may come closer to working.

A better idea would be to get the wheels for free, sell them (local, eBay, etc.), then use the money to get some wheels that already fit.

if you can get em for free, why not? sell them to someone for a dirt cheap price, its a win win win situation, the owner gets rid of them by giving them to you, you sell them to someone else for dirt cheap, you get a few extra bucks in your pockert, enough to buy a meal or the family or whatever, and they walk away with a real cheap set of rims! everyone is happy!

I seem to remember reading on CLUB-GP that C5 hubs were a direct replacement for Gen II w-body hubs...at least on the GPs. I don't know if the guy that claimed that ever went through with it, but it's something to look into. Maybe the hubs from an F-body will bolt in place of the GEN I W-body hubs. Just a thought..... :?