Witch one ????

GRANDFURY

Ok I deciced to try one more thing with this beast....I'm going to put a new fuel pump in...I've found a couple of pumps and want to know witch one too get. They are all Carter fuel pumps 1: 100 gallon an hour free flow 14-16 psi operating presure needs a regulator and it's black powder coated. 2: 100 gallon an hour free flow 6-8 psi operation no regulater and says it's a good street pump. 3: 190 liters an hour free flow pump is for a mustang gt 5.0 and says it will elimenate high RPM fuel starvation. Now supposedly all these are for my 2.8 '89 GP. or will work anyways.....is that enough operating PSI? Any help would be good cause these are only $100 CAN each brand new. This is the last thing i'm going to try I think I can get a deal on the labor so thats not a worry...I don't have an area too do this nor do I want to try it .....no back up car so yeah thanks guys.

I tried looking in the search thing but couldn't find fuel pressure postings.......dose any body know what operating PSI is for a 2.8. I really want to keep this car.

Proper Fuel Pressure is:

40.5 - 47.0 PSI

This is with KOEO(Key ON Engine OFF)

With the engine RUNNING, it could be 3-10 PSI less due to the vacuum controlled Fuel Pressure Regulator.

:)

Alright thanx alot man...... gonna order one in a few weeks and get it done. It was a rough weekend though deciding what to do with it but I hope I made the right decision. I just got a call from Oxford motors in London and got approved for a car but now I'm stuck on decisions a newer car would be nice but they don't have any W-body's. They approved me for a '96 Mustang V6 .....but i've had bad experience with fords like my super coupe and my country squire LTD AND my old Topaz so I don't know.......If I do get a newer car I'm keeping the GP for sure. Thanx again man :)

I see...I once test drove a Lumina Z34 at Oxford Motors.

Personally, I wouldn't deal with them. Why? Because they're owned by the same guys as GABBIES. I'm sure you've heard of Gabbies? They practically own ALL the dirty used car lots in London, Ontario.

They get you tempted with prices. And you DO get what you pay for!! I swear sometimes Gabbies will have a car that looks brand-New priced at $2000-5000 LESS than the Blue Book(or Red Book for us Canadians)...hmm, I wonder why.

I've known at least 4 people that bought cars from them that only lasted like a year before falling apart, regardless of year.

If you do buy a car from them, make sure you do ALL the background checks!! Make sure they give you the UVIP(Used Vehicle Information Package) to verify ownership, odometer, accidents etc.

Alright thanx man..I know of Gabbies and yes they are very crapy cars there I didn't know that he own Oxford too...defiently going to triple think that Idea thanx again man I could have made another big mistake :)

No problem...yeah I was surprised when I found out as well...but there's like 3 or 4 other used lots that are owned by Gabbies but don't use the Gabbie name...I think they started to realize the kind of name they were getting for themselves here in the city and decided to try and avoid using it...

PS Have you checked your Fuel Pressure yet?

It was in the shop........my mom had enough of me bitching about the car so she made me take it too a garage she paid for it :) And all they said was that the battery was good but not holding a big charge...they said to just charge it cause it's fairly new, there were no vaccuum leaks or gasket leaks the altenator seemed fine, The only thing was that he said the fuel pressure was low and sometimes not even there. So he said that it was prolly my fuel pump going due to the fact that when it sits for an hour it fires up again and it wouldn't start for them in the garage so that was good and when I showed up I got it started but it sounded like it was missing or not getting enough fuel just chugging and if you take your foot off the gas it dies and he said that it sounded just like a bad or going fuel pump. I never got actual numbers for the pressure but I know the macanic so he wouldn't rip me off.

Proper Fuel Pressure is:

40.5 - 47.0 PSI

If we were talking about the 3.1-3800 you would be right. but we are talking about the 2.8 so those numbers are Wrong!

Me being a goober and all looked through the hayes manual for our cars while sitting on the john and found fuel pump requirements. the 2.8 is the only one different its suppose to be at 27-35psi i believe. Im trying to remember from memory my book is 250miles away from me now.

someone want to conferm that?

If we were talking about the 3.1-3800 you would be right. but we are talking about the 2.8 so those numbers are Wrong!

Ummm...sorry, but I'm Right!

I'm looking at my GM Service Manual as I type. Plus, I have an AllData subscription which states 40.5-47, PLUS, my Haynes manual states 40.5-47

Maybe you're thinking of the older TBI 2.8 engines?

How many litres an engine is means NOTHING when it comes to fuel pressure. All TBI are the same(9-13), PFI the same(40-47), SFI the same(60-66). These are for GM engines...

Maybe you're thinking of the older TBI 2.8 engines?

Yes thats the motor i was talking about, and i didnt know there was more then 1 2.8L engine out there from GM?:think:

Yes thats the motor i was talking about, and i didnt know there was more then 1 2.8L engine out there from GM?

Oh HELL yeah! There's at least 3 different versions of the 2.8L engine. First it was carburated, then went to TBI(throttle body injection), then finally finished off at PFI(port fuel injection).

:)

so I am thinking that I should go with #2 that I posted above ..........but what dose no regulator mean? Is this a good thing or will I go through lots of gas? I don't know I just got off work and it was a hell of a night....and i'm kinda drunk\stoned right now so I'll read this in the morning and have no clue why I asked but here it is anyways......sorry guys :P