02 GP Performance Shift

Grandprix1

It should display as being in that mode already but it won't make a difference until the shift tables are tuned

Well then we may have a problem. I'll see what it does when I get the PCM back. If it still doesn't work I may have to check all my wiring. I know it's PIN 21 on the clear connector and it turns on via switched ground. Maybe I didn't get the terminal in the right way and it's not connecting but we will see. GM can't keep anything good can they lol.

So I'm thinking that where I grounded the pin to is not a ground. I connected it to a metal bracket in the center console. Probably what I'll end up doing is running that wire back into the engine bay to the bolt connecting the heat shield for the air intake to the frame. And see if that makes a difference. What are your opinions? I can't find another ground in the center console

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you put the ground on painted metal? Take some sandpaper and remove the paint, and see if that helps. My performance shift button had a broken ground wire. Mine now grounds out to under the center console. I wasn't going to bother to run a wire.

Did you put the ground on painted metal? Take some sandpaper and remove the paint, and see if that helps. My performance shift button had a broken ground wire. Mine now grounds out to under the center console. I wasn't going to bother to run a wire.

No it's not painted. It's bare. I think it's aluminum. The PCM isn't tuned yet but I'm assuming that bracket thing is a ground or would work as a ground. It's right behind the shifter assembly. It's just kinda there.

I think mine is grounded out to somewhere under the ashtray/cig lighter (right above the cubby area). There should be some painted steel up there.

Ok I'll have to move it up there and see if that makes a difference. I'm assuming it should still display that the pin has been grounded to change to performance shift on the DIC.

When my ground was broken the Performance shift light was displayed on the DIC all the time no matter which way I pushed the button. Once I grounded it off, and messed with the button, the light has been working fine ever since. 

When my ground was broken the Performance shift light was displayed on the DIC all the time no matter which way I pushed the button. Once I grounded it off, and messed with the button, the light has been working fine ever since.

Interesting ok. Was yours factory though? I'll move it when I get home and see if that changes anything. I'll definitely know there's an issue if it doesn't change over when I get the PCM back. I'll move it back up to where I had it before on one of the mounts for the ashtray. I'm hoping it doesn't require the mode to be activated in the PCM for it to work because It would be nice to know it works before I put in the new PCM

Mine was factory, and for whatever reason, the wire had been rubbing on something inside the center console for a long time. Instead of splicing it, I just grounded it out to another spot, and it has been fine. 

Mine was factory, and for whatever reason, the wire had been rubbing on something inside the center console for a long time. Instead of splicing it, I just grounded it out to another spot, and it has been fine.

Ah ok. I don't want to break the center console from opening it so much so if I mount it up on that bolt under the ash try I think it's a 9/32nd that should work as a ground? And then I'll leave it until I get the PCM to see if it will work. My biggest worry is having wires run all over the place for something simple.

That spot should work, just make sure there is a good connection (no paint). It has worked for me for almost 2 years now.

Ok I've also heard sandwiching a washer between the bolt and steel bracket would work as well. I'll check my wiring and move that and see if it works. If not I'll wait until I get the new PCM to see if that changes anything.

Relocated the ground to that ash tray bolt and sanded away the paint. Still nothing on the DIC. I'm assuming the PCM has to be tuned for it to see it. Where I had it before was aluminum. It was part of the shifter assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then you have to wire in the light too. Like I said it'll work without the light

I think my issue here is the wiring... I installed the PCM today in the 20 degree windy weather, the shift tables aren't changing when I push the button on the shifter (I found a performance shift shift knob brand new from the dealership). I did one WOT run with the perf shift off and then one with perf shift on. Its not dropping 2 gears like it should nor are the shift pressures any different the stock pressures. I requested from ZZP there pressures. Its a nice shift. So I am going to get with someone who actually knows how to wire unlike myself and see if that makes a difference.

Make sure they didn't screw up the tune, just run the pin on the PCM directly to ground and see if it stays in gear longer that usual. This is really too easy for you to wire wrong. Also verify you're using the right pin on the PCM.

I cannot begin to fathom why you have put this much effort into making a light on your dashboard illuminate.  Do as Tom suggests and directly ground pin 21 from the PCM.

If it doesn't activate/work, ZZP fucked up the tune and didn't enable the shift switch type.  In which case, just send the POS back to them and have them put all the "performance shift" values in the standard normal tables and move on with your life.

Make sure they didn't screw up the tune, just run the pin on the PCM directly to ground and see if it stays in gear longer that usual. This is really too easy for you to wire wrong. Also verify you're using the right pin on the PCM.

Ok I can send them an email verifying that. I sent a note with the PCM that I wanted performance shift and ZZP shift pressures. My wires are broken up into difference sections and have a combination of crimp connections and soldered connections. when I rewire I'm going to organize things better and do all solder connections if I trust myself with that (got 2nd degree burns today from accidently touching the soldering iron while hot enough to melt the solder of course.) I've got more terminals so I'm not worried about that. My one friend did audio wiring for cars so hes good at that.

I cannot begin to fathom why you have put this much effort into making a light on your dashboard illuminate.  Do as Tom suggests and directly ground pin 21 from the PCM.

If it doesn't activate/work, ZZP fucked up the tune and didn't enable the shift switch type in the tune.  In which case, just send the POS back to them and have them put all the "performance shift" values in the standard normal tables and move on with your life.

I think its a neat feature that GM should never have taken off. Yeah it may not do much but I think its cool. you don't see cars nowadays with something like the. I'm not sure even the Corvettes or Camaros have them... When I get some warmer weather ill ground the pin out directly to the body and see what happens.

You doing tuning Shaun? My LeSabre may need some tweaking once its top swapped.

If you give me the year and the PCM service number I can see if I have a native L67/4T65 tune for you. There's a possibility I may have a PCM I can tune and send.