91 Cutlass Supreme supply and return line at tank

taylor0987

Hi, I am helping a friend fix her 1991 Cutlass Supreme. The supply and return fuel lines that go from the fuel tank to the filter and to the return line need to be replaced.

The GM part numbers for these lines are 10062888 and 10062887. These parts are discontinued from GM.

I am sure someone else has replaced these lines. How did you approach it? Dorman does have a repair line (dorman part #55180) but that will only help with the supply side. The return side has a female fitting.

The part for later years is available, and have a similar shape, but they have different connectors.

The junkyard parts available are rusted as badly as the parts on this car.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ouch! Find a less rusty junkyard perhaps? You might have to custom fabricate something. Are you familiar with the use of fluting and bending tools?

Ouch! Find a less rusty junkyard perhaps? You might have to custom fabricate something. Are you familiar with the use of fluting and bending tools?

That's tough to do around here, I would probably have to go south a couple hundred miles to a place that doesn't use salt on the roads in winter.

I do have flare and bending tools, but it is always easier to buy a pre-made part.

If no one can suggest a source for the lines pre-made, what I will probably do is get a -6 AN hose with ends already installed and use adapters to get the right size connection on each end.

The male connection into the fuel filter seems to be a m16x1.5 bump connector, while the inlet on the sender assembly side is female m14x1.5 and outlet on the sender assembly side is female m16x1.5. I am not sure of the size of the other female connection on the return line, it seems like it should be m14x1.5 as well, but I was hoping someone here might know for sure.

Thanks.

Edited by taylor0987

Aren't those tubes plastic? They are on my '92 Lumina. Or are you needing something else?

Photo from when I replaced the fuel pump years ago:

Lumina_Fuel_Pump_46.jpg

Aren't those tubes plastic? They are on my '92 Lumina. Or are you needing something else?

Photo from when I replaced the fuel pump years ago:

Lumina_Fuel_Pump_46.jpg

The lines changed for 92. The 92 lines have a different connector.

The lines on 91 and older follow the same path but are rigid metal lines across the tank. The last 8 or so inches of each line is a flexible plastic line covered with metal braid. There are metal crimps where it transitions from the tubing to the flex line, and then the fittings that go into the fuel filter and the return line are crimped on as well. The metal fitting connecting to the nylon line are what has failed on the supply line and what is about to give out on the return line.

I will get a pic and post it.

Edited by taylor0987