99 lumina p0440

Zeekiel Aussenseiter

I picked this car up few months ago and got a evap leak malfunctioning code. I have already replaced gas cap and purge vent solenoid.I got the p0440 again.I noticed the rubber boots on the purge valve was letting air out. I changed then so there is no more gaping with smaller gauge rubber hose. Still waiting for my drivev cycle to complete. Any thoughts on what else could be the problem. And what is the drive cycle for evap system monitor contain me to do?

Have you got under the car to have a look at the evap lines back at the evap canister? There's a combination of pipes, hoses and rubber fittings under there, perhaps one of the lines has a rupture causing an upset that is setting a code in the ECM.

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/0003091W03-041.JPG

You pretty much nailed that P0440 down, that's the easy DTC code. If its still on just have someone flash the code out and see if it comes back. Auto part stores are not allowed to do it for you but if the wind just happened to blow the right way and made your hand brush against the button a certain way aint nothing no one can do about it. Definitely check the rear canister though.

OK clear code each time I changed it I'll look into rear. Just waiting for evap system to become. Do you know drive cycle for evap monitor off hand

You pretty much nailed that P0440 down, that's the easy DTC code. If its still on just have someone flash the code out and see if it comes back. Auto part stores are not allowed to do it for you but if the wind just happened to blow the right way and made your hand brush against the button a certain way aint nothing no one can do about it. Definitely check the rear canister though.

Unless it's a cute young lady that really cares about her job, then she'll grab your hand and say "what are you doing?"

However if you ask to BORROW the code scanner, then it's free game. This would be the route I suggest to take.

Oh no its against the law for me to even accidentally erase codes, however if I demonstrate how and show them what button to press and it just happens to get pressed by another's fingers when I`m distracted picking up a nickel there's nothing I can do about it.:D

The guys at my local auto zone won't do it have already tried few times luckily I have one of the cheap Chinese ones that allow clearing codes

They just aren`t cool enough then.

Actually if DTC codes were erased by an AZ and your car suffered damage because of it then AZ would be accountable for the repair bill. However if the customer insists on it attempting to diagnosis their problems and don't want to wait for the drive cycle to complete, under certain circumstances the codes may get erased. I don't do it very often and once I become a manager it`ll only happen for a select few that I know wont cause a stink.

The guys at my local auto zone won't do it have already tried few times luckily I have one of the cheap Chinese ones that allow clearing codes

Then go to advance auto parts and ask to "borrow" their code scanner. They will in turn ask for your Id and you will receive the scanner upon surrendering your ID. The AZ in my area works the same way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Installed new one and once gas tank hits quarter tank error code is triggered. Is there anything else other then rear purge valve to look into picking one up in a few days. After replacing my vacum lines went to .8hg from a .5hg drive for few miles and it's back to .5hg again. Any thoughts