Interior lights come on when car shakes

zjwflippers

I"ve got a 97 GTP that I took to Vermont with me to go snowboarding yesterday, and the interior lights started coming on when I would hit a bump and turn off again when I would hit another bump. I eventually figured out that if I jerked the car to the right they would turn off (I'm not joking haha). Does anybody know what could be causing this? Earlier in the day I had been sitting in traffic for a good 30 minutes and the car overheated and the problem started occurring maybe 20 minutes after that, so I'm not sure if there'd be any relation there. Any help would be appreciated.

Faulty interior light switch? Bare wires?

I'd be looking under the dash for a bundle of wires that can move freely when the vehicle turns right.

I seem to recall a similar issue in my Cutlass, and found a wire (I think a blue one) worn bare at the base of the driver's side kick panel.

Does the door ajar light on the dash come on? I would start with the door pin switches. When the switch for the rear hatch in the Focus I had went bad it would cause this same thing.

Does the door ajar light on the dash come on? I would start with the door pin switches. When the switch for the rear hatch in the Focus I had went bad it would cause this same thing.

Nope, It'll display in the Driver Information panel which door is open or the trunk if any of them are open, and it doesnt show any of them as being ajar.