94 gp camber

Steve Key

Ok new to the forum but not to the search feature. I can't seem to get a straight answer on gen 2 struts. I race this car on a 1/4 mile banked track and it rolls over on the right front sidewall bad. We are allowed 2 degrees of camber in the right front but the factory strut can't be modified. Will a second gen control arm and strut with knuckle work with my CV axle and subframe?

Shot answer... No.

Gen 1 stuff is completely different from Gen 2. There is a mod you can do to the fronts that involves a shorter gen 2 lateral link, but you have to talk to Got2BGM about that. I can't find the link to his thread but he sells them.

Is it possible to slot the strut tower holes that far? I've slotted mine for ease of alignment. I suppose you could keep slotting the holes toward the center of the car until you get there, or find out you can't get there.

Might get a little that way but there's not nearly enough room inside the tower to slide it far enough and technically that would be modified. This class requires as the holes to be unslotted unless factory and all parts must be able to be replaced from the local parts stores. On our Berettas we can lay the spindle in and weld it to the strut and be Ok I just can't cut and weld the behemoth of a knuckle this car has.

Nothing you can do on a first gen front end except get out the grinder. Would grinding the strut tower be allowed since it is the official alignment method per GM? They even sent out a template to dealers to aid with this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENT-MOORE-J-36892-A-STRUT-ALIGNMENT-TEMPLATE-W-CAR-/310297631290?hash=item483f2e1a3a&item=310297631290&vxp=mtr

Even grinding the tower won't give me the camber I need. We usually run 2 inches in the right front and can dive into the corners hard. This thing just pushes straight towards the wall if I don't let out and slam on the brakes to slow it down then I get drove around. I really like the car and it kills down the straights but I don't like neons driving around me like I'm parked lol.

You are talking about the front, correct????

There is an aftermarket alignment kit that is basically a giant shim that sits between the wheel bearing and the spindle. I did not like them and removed them from my 96 GP. That, plus realigning it's frame fixed the issue.

here it is:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-k6481?seid=srese1&gclid=CN6_xYWGosUCFeZj7AodNjAA1A

If you are looking for a simple more cost effective mod, calculate the thickness you need and add washers between the spindle and the wheel bearing to see if you get your desired effect.

You could also see if shifting your frame to the passenger side is possible!

If you're going to be attempting changes to the camber...

pick yourself up one of these camber gauges, it will come in very useful when checking the before & after settings.

clamp it to the disc at 12 o'clock before and lock it into place to 0 degrees and then check the difference after you adjusted the angle,

the factory camber is .75 degree positive, even one degree movement to negative .25 will make a difference where *plowing* is concerned. Adjust to to 1 degree negative and you'll feel the difference in the steering, that *dead* feel will be lessened quite a bit, the steering will be more responsive

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gunson.co.uk/news/lg/77066_INSITU.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gunson.co.uk/news.aspx?article%3D451&h=433&w=650&tbnid=XC3pzWuTzisRWM:&zoom=1&docid=CF1gp61XXjyakM&ei=GaNEVeDqGMyfgwTz7oDoCw&tbm=isch&client=palemoon&ved=0CCkQMygMMAw

Keep in mind as well that you will toe out the wheels with negative camber induced by using shims in behind the hubs. You may have to compensate the toe angle.

My bad.....disregard, one is not moving the strut at all, just the wheel bearing assuming that both shims at the bottom are the same thickness.

Edited by 55trucker

Ok so spacing the wheel bearing worked good but... now the back end is sooo loose its almost undriveable. Any ideas guys? Soon as I let off the gas in the straights she starts to come around and that's bad in traffic.

Assuming you haven't done so...

Stiffer springs to keep the front end from diving, as soon as you start to brake the front end is doing so making the rear end light, not much you can do to the rear leaf because of what it is unless you want to go to coilovers, poly bushings around the anti swaybar to limit roll, shocks...not much one can do there as there are not performance related items for these cars,

related to springs...lower the car altogether with firmer springs, front to rear weight ratio is something in the neighborhood 65 front 35 rear. In lou of all that you can adjust the camber of the rear wheels as well, try dialing in a little more negative camber to get the rear tires to keep the flat area on the ground in the corners.

what you do to one end you have to do to the other end as well.

What are you using for tires? that will make a difference...road going 60 series *S* or *T* or a better handling lower profile *V* or *Z* track tire.

Yeah we've done everything we can think of she just seems way too light in the back. I'm honestly thinking about pulling the motor and.wiring harness and stuffing it into my old Beretta at this point.