Potential new W-body owner looking for advice

spnsrkzb

I was looking for a 1st gen W-body Grand Prix GTP to purchase. I've wanted one of these cars ever since I was little. I found one on Kijiji not too far away from me. It's a red 1991 Grand Prix GTP with gold rims. No rust. Been in storage since 2008. Engine has 170000 kilometres on it, but won't fire.

If I can get this for really cheap should I go for it? Based on the description of the vehicle's condition what would be a fair price to offer the seller? Seller says "he's sick of the car". Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Edited by spnsrkzb

I think Breakdown has a 92' GTP he could be talked into selling red on charcoal interior. forget which wheels it has.

as for that 91' could be something like a crank sensor or at worst the timing belt broke

Thanks guys I'm going to talk to the owner of the car via telephone at some point tomorrow. I should have more information by that time. I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

It doesn't hurt to check it out, so long you're good with tools and diagnostics. I'd make sure the engine has good compression first before buying it. After that, it can be a sensor, fuel or ignition based issues.

It's an Ontario car,

get underneath it and take a good close look at everything, salt rot leaves nothing to be desired and it touches all. Weak spot that you won't see unless you pull the rear left wheelwell splash shield is the hidden reinforcement under the gas filler panel, they rot out there, another is the rear bumper rebar, you can't see into it because of the plastic all around it, but it rots out as well, pull the air vents at the bottom of the door frame & shine a light into the open area in the rear quarter panels to look for rot in there as well especially down on the rockers. If the rear brakes have been neglected expect the caliper sliders to be seized.

Be selective, don't purchase a rotbox.

being a 91 GTP..... if it has ABS, then it has the PM3 system, which can be fun. I think I would look into outright replacement if the seller were to imply brake issues.

Depends on how clean the underside is, (look inside the quarter panel vents as well as inspect the trailing arm mounts - where they meet the floor)

Not running condition, no more than a grand I'd say, unless the paint is mint or something.

Hopefully it's something simple like a crank sensor, shorted injector or ICM.

I have a 92 that runs, but with more km and needs some paint work, brake work and a new fender, would sell for $700 (what I have in it)

Well,

here's another one, it's near Walkerton, it looks good from the outside, the engine bay looks like a disaster, for $2g's I'd like to see more of the car & what condition the bottomside is.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/owen-sound/1995-pontiac-grand-prix-gtp-coupe-2-door/1037919039?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true#MapLightbox

^ Remember that's kilometres, not miles, 20,000kilos+ a year here is not unusual, that = 12,000 miles. Out in the countryside commuting to a major centre I can see that easily.