DIC question

Antmann1992

Ok so I put the left pod dic in my gp and everything works but the temp reading. So my question is did my car not come with that sensor since its not a gtp?

If it did not have the DIC, it did not get the sensor. You'll need to get one and wire it in. I just grabbed one from a salvage yard when I put one in my brother's 96. It's right in front of the radiator/condenser.

Ok thanks for info. If by chance could you get pictures so i know what to look for this is new territory for me so im not all quite sure what to do.

This is more or less how the ambient temperature sensor looks like

sistdax78_is?$JCW_SKU$

It's usually like this with a bracket that holds it in place. This specific one is from a Tahoe. They're almost always on a frame near the radiator in front of the grille, or around that general area. The sensor is actually the probe and you need to grab the clip. It's usually a green wire and a dark colored wire. All you have to do is get 20-22 gauge wiring and run a feed from the mounting location (somewhere around the header panel) to the DIC. I don't have pictures, but I did this mod to a Grand Am when I installed an auto dimming mirror with compass and temperature.

So the socket/plug already is already on the car but just needs the sensor? Or do i need to run to rig. This is confusing lol

If your car doesn't have the sensor, then it won't have the clip that goes to it or the harness that goes to the DIC. You have to get the sensor out of whatever car the reader comes out of. I've had luck with the GMT400 sensor but it may be different than what was used in 1994, especially since this goes to an information center and not a mirror.

Sorry for making this a bigger pain in that ass than it has to be. Ok so get those and mount it up front. Then for wiring it, run from the connector to the DIC?

Sorry for making this a bigger pain in that ass than it has to be. Ok so get those and mount it up front. Then for wiring it, run from the connector to the DIC?

It's only a pain in the ass if you want it to be :P

1. Get ambient temperature sensor
  2. Get clip for wiring sensor
  3. Buy about 10 feet of 20 OR 22 gauge wiring
  4. Run the wire from the cabin to where you'll be mounting the sensor. You can do this in reverse but I like dealing with the pain in the ass part first.
  5. Make your splices at both ends. You can twist the wires together, use a butt splice, a wire tap, your call.
  6. Tape up splices.
  7. Place car in ACC position.
  8. Make sure it works and enjoy.

:thumbsup:

I can't put up pics becasue I already have the sensor, but I have a how to on the sensor on another forum. I can link if you want lol

Here's a better picture of the sensor. It's from the 96 SE I added the DIC too. I snapped this from the top when replacing a couple parts my brother broke hitting a dog that ran out in the road. Sorry the pic is sideways. Stupid photobucket keeps auto-rotating it.

IMG_0340_zpssvdr2lyi.jpg

Edited by jman093