04 GP Input Shaft

Heartbeat1991

Hi all. A friend of a friend needs her input shaft replaced, or so I gather. The car stopped accelerating on the highway, she pulled over, and the engine revs but the car won't move. She had it towed to the local stealership, and they told her "it needs a new pipe that connects the engine to the transmission" They want a pretty decent chunk of change to fix it. She has relayed a request for me to fix it for her cheaper. What's the consensus? What is easier/cheaper/better? New input shaft or just replace the entire trans?

Interesting dilemna,

how much money does she want to spend on the car?, how many miles are on that trans?, do YOU have any experience disassembling a 4T65 trans, and can you get it out of the car?

Not hearing what the quote was I would imagine that the bulk of the dealership quote is the removal & installation of the trans if only to replace the shaft (personally I wouldn't approach a GM dealership to do a trans re&re, a dedicated trans shop would be less expensive.......but that's just me),

the pump shaft is not terribly expensive, perhaps $60, the turbine shaft is even less, but if either has sheared off what other damage is floating around in either the converter or the trans housing? So one would be wise to pull it all apart to clean it out completely, and if ones does that how much more to just get a fresh over the counter rebuild?,

and you install it yourself if you can...... 6 of one or half dozen of the other.

see the links for both shafts...

http://www.transmissionpartsus.com/product/D84673G.html

http://www.transmissionpartsus.com/product/D84671G.html

Edited by 55trucker

I haven't seen the car yet. I am going off what she says the dealer told her. They quoted her $180 for the part, and $1300 labor. None of it adds up to me. I have some transmission experience, but not a lot with this particular trans. I would personally rather just replace the trans with a junk yard unit. It would be far cheaper, and cut out a lot of variables. Until the trans is out of the car, I have no way to know what is actually broken. If the car won't move, I suspect it's going to be a pump shaft. The only way to find out is to disconnect the cooler line and fire it up, see what comes out. To me, replacing just the shaft without doing a complete rebuild is a waste. But I don't know the mileage, etc. She can't afford the $1500 + from the dealership. I haven't heard anything back yet, so I don't know where she stands. Best bet is to pull the trans and see what's really wrong. I'm basically shooting in the dark, since the only info she could give me is that "the pipe from the motor to the transmission is broke"