Volumetric Efficiency and turbos...

Jon89le

Im trying to pick a right turbo for the upgrade i want to do but im missing some information. Im reading through this book and they are using a certain percentage for Volumetric efficiency and i cant seem to figure out how to get that number. I know its less than 1 but what else is there? You'll need to excuse my incompetence, im knew to this technical turbo thing :roll: Thanks

Here's my take on V/E. V/E starts out with what your engine will flow on paper. Lets say with x bore and stroke your engine will flow 40# at 6k rpm on paper. Well your engine isn't a piece of paper. I'ts got more vairable than you can shake a stick at. So V/E % takes these vairables into account. Ie, inlet restrictions, cam, intercooler restrictions, manifold and head restrictions, bends in hoses, throttle body and so on. When taking all these into account your V/E % will be less than 100%.(Dont know where the one came from unles they meant 100%) Common V/E's are from 75% to 90% with the norm used for caculations at about 85%.

Search around. There was just a thread on turbos under Begging for speed. a few days ago.

Hope this help's you out. :wink:

Jud

Great. Thanks man. Yea, the book goes by decimals, not percentages. Same thing tho. Il have to check that thread out. This turbo thing is harder than i thought :D

Keep thinking because its very involved.