Rust in fuse boxs under hood?!?

Deacon

My '95 GP SE has a reoccurring problem every couple of years or so.

About 2 years ago I was having problems getting it started and then one day the whole electrical system just spazed out on me. While I was driving no less. Luckily I was coming to a stop at the time. I took it to a garage and he told me there was rust built up in the underside of the fuse boxes under the hood. After I got it back, it started every time, until now.

This morning I tried to start it and it started doing the same old thing, 'click', nothing. :(

So, has anyone else experienced this? I'm in Michigan where the weather goes from cold to rainy to sunshine, in one day. :D

What is the best way to not only fix this, but hopefully prevent this from happening again in 2 or so years?

I pretty mechanically inclined and have done several repairs/maintenance to my beast (rotors, brakes, radiator,alternator.).

But this is electrical and I'll admit, I'm somewhat intimidated. At the same time, I'm eager to take non new challenges and learn something new.

TIA.

What part is actually rusting? Plastic doesn't rust. Maybe try some dielectric grease on the trouble spots after removing current corrosion, that's what its for.

Considering where you are you might want to consider a wire brush regiment with your standard oil change schedule. Hit everything with rust and paint any exposed metal that you see can hold rust. Any sort of hardware that is rusted should be changed, especially the nuts that hold the grounds and wires running to underneath the fuse boxes.