3.1L Turbo Manifolds and Crossover pipe on 99 3.4L?

Tweeter

Ok, I am new to this board. I have a 99 Grand Am Gt with the 3.4L engine in it. I am wanting to turbo it. I was think I could use the Manifolds and Crossover pipe off of a 3.1L Turbo engine. Is this able to be done? I have been reading and it looks like I have D on the exchaust ports and that the 3.1L Turbo had Round exhaust ports. If this is true can I grind the manifolds of of a Turbo engine to work.

Just for the Exhaust part of this turbo set up what other problems would I have? I know I will have to come up with a down pipe. will the crossover pipe work?

I have use the search but only found info on 3.4LDOHC and puting Gen III heads on the Turbo engine.

Thanks for all the help.

Tweeter

Mechanical parts should bolt up but you'll run into issues with matching the exit port size.

But the worst will be creating a MEMCAL for the ECM that will accept the boost.

Yes, the mechanics and machine part will work, but the ECM will have serious difficulty with basic drivability.

Something you may want to consider is changing you SFI to MPFI and running a MPFI ECM.

- Erik

Thanks Redfox340 for the input. As for the ECM goes, There was for a short time a SuperCharger for these engines that ran 6psi with out reprograming the computer. I am not wanting to run anything higher than 8 psi. I will have to get a fuel pressure raiser. There is also a Place that can reprogram the computer here in Detroit. So once I get it all put together I will get in touch with them about reprograming for boost.

Thanks for the info you told me what I was wanting to hear.

Tweeter

Thanks Redfox340 for the input. As for the ECM goes, There was for a short time a SuperCharger for these engines that ran 6psi with out reprograming the computer.

Who was it that created that kit? Never heard of that...

RSM Racing has currently a 2.8L / 3.1L / 3100 / 3400 supercharger with a reprogramed ECU for the MAF and MAP.

Let us know if you get something off the white-board and working.

- Erik

Eaton, it was a Roots setup. It was the one GM had on there SCT concept Grand Am GT. They stop making them after a year. They did not sell as good as they hope it would. It was for the 3.4L engine in the Grand am and the Alero.

I know about the one from RSM. I have seen it at the track. It is a nice setup. Just too much cash for me right now. I have a line on a T3/T4 Turbo for fee. And I will keep and update on how everything is going.

Thanks Redfox340 for the input. As for the ECM goes, There was for a short time a SuperCharger for these engines that ran 6psi with out reprograming the computer.

Who was it that created that kit? Never heard of that...

RSM Racing has currently a 2.8L / 3.1L / 3100 / 3400 supercharger with a reprogramed ECU for the MAF and MAP.

Let us know if you get something off the white-board and working.

- Erik

What exactly are the MAF and MAP? Do you need them when you add boost?

Cool that is what I was wanting to hear.

As for what is Map and MAF. MAF= Mass Air Flow, and MAP=Manifold Absolute Pressure.

MAF=messure the amount of air you have coming in to an engine and the temp.

MAP= Messure the pressure of the manifold.

You do not need the for Turbo cars, but the OBDII computer cars have them. My 99 Grand AM GT has a MAF.

Guest TurboSedan

the MAF and MAP sensors are generally used to measure the amount of air coming into the engine - practically any fuel injected car will have one or the other or maybe even both in some cases; i'm not really sure. my n/a 3.1 MPFI engine uses a MAP sensor, and doesn't use a MAF sensor. it is what they call a 'speed-density' system; it uses the Manifold Ablsolute Pressure & engine speed (RPM) to figure out how much air is coming into the engine, thus the name 'speed-density'. a MAF system directly measures the amout of incoming air via a MAF sensor mounted somewhere before the throttle body.

the TGP is a speed-density system, BUT - you need a *2-bar* MAP sensor to read boost; a regular MAP sensor like the n/a cars have will not. the TGP does not have a MAF sensor.

joshua

do what i did on my 3.4L dohc turbo (and on timg's turbo). use 2 front manfiolds (one on each side of motor for equil flow) and build a custom x-over and downpipe. the 3.4L dohc also have D shaped ports and it worked like a champ. the 3100 and 3400's both have a log style manifold just like the 3.4L DOHC that is in mine and tim's monte.

hope this helps.

shane

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I am on the right track. Now it is just a waiting game to fine the parts when I have the money in my hand. With two kids money is not always there when you want it to be.

• 1 month later...

Well I now have some of the parts to start my Turbo Upgrade. On my 99 Grand Am GT. For Christmas a Friend of mine bought the Exchaust parts I need to start it. I am now On the hunt for a turbo. This is going to have to wait until next month. I think a T3 will work But I am going to try to get a T3/T4. There is a place out that now makes a kit to put a Turbo on, But I do not have the 3,000 bucks to buy it so I will make my own.

thanks for all the good Info.

Check out Ebay, theres generally some good deals going on there with turbo's because there are soo many. If your going for a T3(good choice BTW) they sell the flanges on there too.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I am new to this board. I have a 99 Grand Am Gt with the 3.4L engine in it. I am wanting to turbo it. I was think I could use the Manifolds and Crossover pipe off of a 3.1L Turbo engine. Is this able to be done? I have been reading and it looks like I have D on the exchaust ports and that the 3.1L Turbo had Round exhaust ports. If this is true can I grind the manifolds of of a Turbo engine to work.

Just for the Exhaust part of this turbo set up what other problems would I have? I know I will have to come up with a down pipe. will the crossover pipe work?

I have use the search but only found info on 3.4LDOHC and puting Gen III heads on the Turbo engine.

Thanks for all the help.

Tweeter

Make your own kit. the GA 3400 has a ton of room. i was going to do a kit for a kit but he never got back to me.

* get another stock front "LOG" manfiold from the front of another 3400 and flip it over and bolt it on the rear. Just like my 3.4L DOHC setup is.

* build a custome x-over and down pipe.

* run a oil feed line front the oil pressure sensor (SS Braided)

* run a oil return line to a top of the oil pan. have to tap a hole and add a bung.

* plumb the pipes in.

* eather boost through the MAF sensor or suck through it. if you add a blow off valve you will need to plumb it back into the intake so the maf will read it when it blows off. i have seen it done both ways.

it is basiclly the same setup as the 3.4L X motor. they are both 60* V6's. its pretty easy actually.

tell me more about the turbo you are getting for free... a/r's trim's ect.. all will play a roll in how well it will work on your car. Timg's car and mine are both using a "T04E Super 60" with a ".68 A/R", tangential/undivided intlet and it is matched very nicly to the motor (3.4L DOHC). a t3/t4 depending on a/r's will spool very fast but run out of steam on the top end because it can't flow enought exhaust gasses through the turbo housing.

Shane "RedZMonte"

• 20 years later...

Hey where would I find an exhaust manifold with a mount for a turbo on a 97 Chevy lumina/ Gm 3100 sfi engine 

if anybody has a direct link to a manifold or even a kit please lmk!