One problem down, one more to go...

cdn_olds_94

Ok, the high revving problem has been solved on my 94 cutlass 3.4 engine, now another has popped up. When I go to start the car sometimes she fires on the first turn of the key. Lately when I turn the key it takes three or more attempts to get it to turn over. The car has a new battery and alternator and when I check the battery voltage it reads 12.2 to 13 volts, and the in dash volt gauge reads 13 volts. As the car s driven the voltage moves two lines into the red zone. This does not happen all the time but it has me a bit concerned as to what is going on. I've checked the battery cables, fuse's, grounds and wiring. My gut is telling me it's a starter solenoid, but my son is thinking it's an ignition problem. I'm looking for any input and am open to suggestions.

If the engine itself turns, (verify by looking at the accessory drive), then its not the starter solenoid.

How's the fuel pressure after you've turned the key to 'run', but before hitting the starter? These cars have a 'pulse dampener' in the fuel tank which tends to cause starting fuel pressure problems as the material used to manufacture such isn't as ethanol resistant as it should be. Unfortunately the fix in such circumstance involves dropping the fuel tank. Which really isn't as hard as it looks (there's an awesome video on Youtube from a1auto.com on how to do it!).

Is it clicking and the starter doesn't turn?

It clicks if it don't start on the first turn. You turn the key and you'll one click and the dash warning lights light and gauges move but won't start. Turn the key again and sometimes it starts, sometimes it takes three or four turns of the key to get it to start.

When you use the term *it* clicks......what is *it*??

Is the solenoid clicking?

If you're not sure whether the starter is at fault......remove it.... and use a set of booster cables connected to a good battery & connect one cable across both the small ign terminal & the large battery terminal and the other cable to the starter housing to ground.

If the starter does not respond at all then suspect that the contact plate and/or the two large terminals in the solenoid have worn away and a solenoid is needed,

if the starter engages normally then suspect that the starter switch which is mounted to the steering column is faulty. With the ign wire removed from the starter test with a meter for voltage/continuity when the key is in the *start* position.

^THIS

It sounds like the time my starter gave out and a new replacement solved the issue. If it took more than 2-3 seconds of cranking to get the engine to start then I would just replace the entire starter.

When you use the term *it* clicks......what is *it*??

Is the solenoid clicking?

If you're not sure whether the starter is at fault......remove it.... and use a set of booster cables connected to a good battery & connect one cable across both the small ign terminal & the large battery terminal and the other cable to the starter housing to ground.

If the starter does not respond at all then suspect that the contact plate and/or the two large terminals in the solenoid have worn away and a solenoid is needed,

if the starter engages normally then suspect that the starter switch which is mounted to the steering column is faulty. With the ign wire removed from the starter test with a meter for voltage/continuity when the key is in the *start* position.

When I turn the key the " clicking sound " seems to come from the dash board. But it also could be coming from steering column. After reading your post, I'm beginning to think that it's the starter switch as when the starter engages it's strong sounding.

can you check your fuel line pressure, when you turn the key repeatedly it turns on the fuel pump , so it sounds like it has to build up pressure. could be the fuel pump there is a check valve so all the gas does not drain back into the tank when you turn the car off, maybe the valve is gummed up. Try a pint of seafoam in the gas tank. even if it is not that will clean your whole intake which I do anyway once a year. follow the directions on the can. I usually wait till I have a gallon or so in the tank. At the gas station I pour in the seafoam then fill with gas for a complete mix. when did you last change your fuel filter BTW what car is this we are talking about year and engine displacement or did I miss that info?