motor swap

1990lumi

how hard would it to be to put my 90 lumina 3.1l motor into a 91 z34 shell because i can pick up a clean car no motor/tranny for 400$ and i figure it might be easier then fixing mine up and swapping all the body panels over...is it as simple as pull and drop with the wiring harness and and the control modules

It would be a downgrade but I believe it will drop in.

For another $600 investment you could grab a 3.4 DOHC, transaxle and related parts needed from a JY. Or any engine really. IIRC its only about $200 where I'm at for a complete engine. I get to find out all about that this week first hand doing some treasure yard hunting. I am actually considering a 3400 swap when searching for my trans.

unless i were on a super tight budget, i would never install a 2.8/3.1. preferably not a small port 3100 either, either large port 3100/3400 or if you want to spend more time/money for an arguably better engine, the non-VVT 3500.

i would put a 3.4 dohc in it if i could find one there is only one jw in a 60 mile radius that has one its in a 3.4l euro but the plugs where pulled and it hasnt had a hood on the car sense i can remember atleast 5 years so im afraid water got in it and froze it up and the only you pull yard near me closed last year due to there budget cuts for there yard so it would be expensive for a new motor that they pull for me

Has the 3500 been done yet?

a lot. in fact, really popular over on 60V6. not too many people have done the VVT motors yet due to most people wanting to keep the VVT function, but the non-VVT 3500 is a well traveled path at this point, for FWD, transverse RWD(fiero) or the F-bodies. i don't think i've seen an S10 with one yet, but i could be wrong.

Has anybody done the 3.6L yet?

i think if someone were to go 3.6 route, they would want to do the latest 3.6, which is going to be a control nightmare. even the early ones aren't that simple to control.

i think if someone were to go 3.6 route, they would want to do the latest 3.6, which is going to be a control nightmare. even the early ones aren't that simple to control.

A common one was like 2005ish from the Cadillacs, they made over 250hp. Wouldn't be a bad option since HPTuners supports that PCM, the problem would be bellhousing bolt pattern and transmission control. It would be greatly simplified by use of a Getrag or something.

The 4.9L is a common engine to swap into Fieros, I wonder if that engine is short enough for a first gen W? It should fit in a gen II since there was the 5.3L in some of the GPs, I can't believe the 5.3 is shorter that the 4.9.

I'd have to second the L67, it's the most bang for the buck and a pretty simple retrofit.

yea the 4.9l will fit in a gen 1 i found a website a few years back of a company that took old 4.9l and made them to a 5.0l and sold it as a kit for swaps