Hidden Toggle To Disable Remote Trunk On Key Fob?

ILoveSun

So my key fobs have never worked for opening the trunk, and neither has the yellow dash button (have a replacement one as the original worked for a while but sporadically). Anyway, I was going through my owner's manual and found the convertible insert and it shows a toggle switch located behind one of the trunk panels and it is used to disable the key fob for accessing the trunk as a security measure. Problem is, I can't find it anywhere,

Can someone please describe to me exactly where it's located?

Thanks,

Greg

It's on the trunk lid itself just to the left of the trunk latch. I put a rubber switch cover on mine. You should be able to see the brass nut at the base of the cover on mine.y9ejy9e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um, sorry about that...the switch on my '95 is in the same location, but has a small paper tag glued to the bracket, showing which direction is on or off. I like the idea of covering the switch--looks neater that way.

They did.

Great! Thanks for showing me that. But, it didn't work.:( When I use my fob, I could hear a clicking coming from further towards the back of the back seats. I pulled the carpet back and found a small box wrapped in blue plastic with a harness plugged into it. Every time I hit the button, you could hear a faint click (sounded like something was trying to unlock but couldn't).

This box is mounted behind the left rear seat on top of the metal shelf that the pump and hoses are below on the other side.

Any ideas?

Greg

Edited by ILoveSun

ummmm, if the yellow button on the interior of the car is not working either, then it most likely is not the keyless entry module that is the problem.

The box clicking is a sign that it IS working, but somewhere there is an interrupt.

I would recommend doing an continuity test of the wiring from the trunk release to the button to see if the wire is not cut or damaged somewhere first.

Also, I have seen those trunk release solenoids go bad. You could just have a bad trunk release solenoid, or even just a bad ground (the solenoid is grounded directly to the car so that is unlikely).

I would recommend first of all trying to manually pop the trunk solenoid and make sure it is not seized up. There should be enough of a gap in there that you can stick your finger in and slide it over. If it does not move, then its seized and that is your problem.

Don't be so quick to blame the solders on the newer keyless modules. I've yet to see a newer one like used in the 1994+'s go bad.

• 3 weeks later...
Coupe and sedan are the same I believe.

Yeah, when I searched I just looked for "1994 Cutlass Supreme Trunk Actuator" and came up empty.

Are they hard to find, or is it just me??

Greg