Anyone here running a battery in the trunk?

Nas Escobar

While on this subject, has anyone fit a CS144 on the LQ1? I think I asked a similar question last year about the alternator thing and it seemed that the answer was that there was no upgrade for the LQ1 and my only option was to rebuild my alternator for more amps, but it wasn't an option since we all know where that alternator resides. That was one of the few jobs I paid to have done.

then why not store the amps and cushion the alternator that's in there? You could have a different stock alternator built up with stronger internals in the mean time, then just swap them out at your own leisure.

Well right now, I took the system out. I'm in the process of restoring it, I even have a thread on here about it. I'm not too concerned about it yet but I know its coming. If I could get a bad one and have it rebuilt I would prolly get it put in once I'm pushing 1500 watts but at the moment I'm more concerned with my interior.

That and almost no one around my area knows jack shit about W's

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk.

on the idea of building an alt up big enuff to handle the system, try blasting some 150 bpm techno on some bassy deth metal on a big system. talk about early alt death :)

Some alternator killing metal songs

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk.

look up cannibal corpse, chimera, and ministry for starters :)

on one of ministrys tracks with my old jls i had trouble breathing with the stereo cranked :)

And there is a drawback to going TOO apeshit on a high output alt, overcharging. Dont believe? Pull ur cars bat and put it on a charged set to jumpstart for a week and see what happens. Sure while ur bumpin tunes overcharge isnt very likely but what about when you dont feel like music?

So my datalog shows an IAT temp of 80 F on a 55 F day so I got a little pissed and decided it's time for my CAI! Got to have the battery out of the way so I broke down and ordered my relocation kit, I'll be sealing the top corners with silicone and putting weatherstripping on the top to seal it if it's not equipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Cable-48101-Aluminum-Battery/dp/B000CQ24AQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1399944502&sr=8-8&keywords=trunk+mount+battery

post-4528-143689160246_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So my relocation kit came and I've finally had a little time to work on it. I found that PEX tubing is a slip fit for the Taylor wire so I made a hole (not a pretty hole but the best I could do with the tools I had) through the floor in the front passenger side into the front box-like frame to run the tubing through up to the front of the car. I hit something and it beat me but a piece of 10 ga wire goes right through so I'll be trying again. This should turn out pretty cool, the box is HUGE though, almost big enough to fit 2 of our little batteries in. All in all the kit was a good price looking at the quality and all. There will be some silicone involved in sealing the corners of the box and likely a piece of weatherstripping inside the lid. Sorry no pics, I'll get some when it's done.

What about using an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery such as an Optima, no leakage, no venting required and can be mounted in any position. Although the battery may be more expensive, the mounting should be cheaper. A better battery is always good, right?

We use the Optima dual purpose starting/ deep cycle batteries as the battery back-up system for the tornado sirens in town. If you have made friends at an Autoparts store you should be able to get one for $180 or so.

Edited by George

So my relocation kit came and I've finally had a little time to work on it. I found that PEX tubing is a slip fit for the Taylor wire so I made a hole (not a pretty hole but the best I could do with the tools I had) through the floor in the front passenger side into the front box-like frame to run the tubing through up to the front of the car. I hit something and it beat me but a piece of 10 ga wire goes right through so I'll be trying again. This should turn out pretty cool, the box is HUGE though, almost big enough to fit 2 of our little batteries in. All in all the kit was a good price looking at the quality and all. There will be some silicone involved in sealing the corners of the box and likely a piece of weatherstripping inside the lid. Sorry no pics, I'll get some when it's done.

Yeah, I was gonna say you should take pics when you're done. What car is this going in btw?

Yeah keep us posted! I'm curious what's different with my Camaro battery as they get a trunk mounted battery and aside from being under the spare wheel cover and a layer of carpet it's not really sealed off.

1103chp_02_o%2B2010_chevy_camaro%2Bbattery.jpg

I have friends with B-Series Honda engines who mount little Gel Cells and lawn tractor batteries in the trunk.

That's crazy they put the Camero batteries in like that, there must be adequate ventelation somewhere.

I have friends with B-Series Honda engines who mount little Gel Cells and lawn tractor batteries in the trunk.

That's crazy they put the Camero batteries in like that, there must be adequate ventelation somewhere.

It's actually pretty common to see this.

Dodge Charger

004-13.jpg

Dodge Magnum

tire-and-battery.jpg

BMW Z4

Mod%2009.JPG

I guess the concern with ventilation is that the gasses are flammable if they are sealed in. Some people are saying that the trunk isn't air tight enough for that to be a major concern, but I got curious and started poking around the NHRA rules to get an idea on safety.

All batteries must be securely mounted; must be of sufficient

capacity to start vehicle at any time. Batteries may not be relocated

into the driver or passenger compartments. Rear firewall of

.024-inch steel or .032-inch aluminum (including package

tray) required when battery is relocated in trunk. In lieu of rear

firewall, battery may be located in a sealed .024-inch steel, .032-in

ch aluminum, or NHRA-accepted poly box. If sealed box is used in li

eu of rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery and

must be vented outside of body. Relocated battery(s) must be fast

ened to frame or frame structure with a minimum of two 3/8-inch-diam

eter bolts. OEM located batteries without complete OEM hold-dow

n hardware must be secured to OEM battery box/tray using the sa

me 3/8-inch-diameter bolt hold-down method described in previou

s sentence. (“J” hooks prohibited or must have open end welded

shut.) Metal battery hold-down straps mandatory. Strapping tape

prohibited. A maximum of two automobile batteries, or 150 pounds

combined maximum weight (unless otherwise specified in Class

Requirements), is permitted. Maximums may vary according to Class Requirements.

Also worth mention

MASTER CUTOFF

Mandatory on any car with a battery running 9.99 (*6.39) or quicker,

any car exceeding 135 mph, or on any car where the battery is

relocated into the trunk area.

I guess the camaro passes that rule on the technicality of the word "relocated", since that is the stock battery location. But I still wonder about the lack of venting or being sealed from the driver's compartment.

Maybe they are concerned with battery acid flying everywhere in the event of a crash? Camaro's are not fast so no need to worry. Just kidding Nas. Lol

It was a glorious day for the Empire! Running the PEX tubing went well once I cut it at a very sharp angle and worked it through. I made it all the way to the front past where the hole was and had to pull it back, then I cut the tubing inside the car since it was too fat to live nicely under the trim along the side.

post-4528-143689161775_thumb.jpg

post-4528-143689161808_thumb.jpg

post-4528-14368916179_thumb.jpg

post-4528-143689161822_thumb.jpg

Once I got to the back there was a plastic conduit for existing wiring that took it under the rear seat and then more PEX into the trunk.

post-4528-143689161843_thumb.jpg

I don't have words to describe what a BITCH it was getting the wire from inside the box portion of the frame and out that little hole, but it's really nice looking, almost factory. I'd guess you guys would be some of the few to spot it.

I've got to get a battery tray for inside the box to hold the battery since I want to keep my nearly new side post, does anybody remember if our trays are bolted in or welded?

Haha I was debating posting an unhelpful "my battery is in the trunk" post but it's interesting to see the discussion--- thanks skitchin et. al.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished last night finally. It's worth saying that if you want to remove the factory battery cables from under the hood you'll need about 5' of 6GA wire. Some will feed an underhood electrical center from the post on the starter and the other will ground the engine to the frame.

Finished last night finally. It's worth saying that if you want to remove the factory battery cables from under the hood you'll need about 5' of 6GA wire. Some will feed an underhood electrical center from the post on the starter and the other will ground the engine to the frame.

Battery relocate looked good! Forgot to ask, what gauge wire did you run from the battery to up front?

Battery relocate looked good! Forgot to ask, what gauge wire did you run from the battery to up front?

Thank you!

I believe it is 2 gauge,It's just the stuff that comes in the kit but it was really nice wire to work with it's plenty of current for the starter.