Rear speaker replacement question

spiderw31

I've got a pair of 6b9s for my rear deck, and had a question. Can the speakers be replaced without pulling the deck, or does that really have to come off to get them in there? Car in sig BTW.

Yes indeed, one needs to pull the rear parcel shelf to remove the speakers, they are mounted atop a pair of plastic stands & will not drop out the bottom of the main deck via those two ports.

Pretty sure you do, otherwise you break the plastic that holds in the "grilles" in the back. It's not that hard to do, all you have to do is take off the C pillar trim and the seat surround and it should slide right off. 30 minute job at most.

Yeah it would be simple, except for the fact that I've got a car seat strapped in the back that took ludicrous time to get installed firmly. I was kinda hoping I could avoid doing that again, but oh well.

i never needed to pull it.... just slipped the plastic grilles off, unbolted/unscrewed existing units and was swapping in replacements. i think i had to push a bit on the deck for two of the screws but it isn't visible.

The 92 Grand Prix requires removal of the back seat cushion and back rest, C-pillar trims, sail panels, and package shelf. Why they put speaker covers that allow access to three of the four bolts that hold the speaker to the adapter is something I will NEVER understand.

I've done it through the grilles. Just be careful not to break the tabs off the grilles. I will post a couple pics in a few minutes so you can see how to get them out without breaking them.

I think you could be able to pop the top part of the speaker cover out of the lower lip or surround plastic that is (semi)-permanently set into the cardboard parcel/speaker deck. Those GP rear decks of that generation look very similar to the one in my Cutlass.

Also if you are not wanting to mess with the car seat take both to a baby store or to a local fire dept and have them install it. There should be a certified person at each to do that and they can show you how to do it as well. I used to be a supervisor at a Babies R Us and had to take a certification course to install them per DOT safety specs. If its the kind of seat with a base that remains in the car you might be able to leave it in as you only need to lift the back rest out of they way after you unbolt it.

Do these use the same adapters as every other 1st gen W?

Maybe I installed my aftermarket speakers backwards or something, but I was able to remove them out the bottom in the trunk.

PB090031_zps83a32ba0.jpg

I think you could be able to pop the top part of the speaker cover out of the lower lip or surround plastic that is (semi)-permanently set into the cardboard parcel/speaker deck. Those GP rear decks of that generation look very similar to the one in my Cutlass.

Also if you are not wanting to mess with the car seat take both to a baby store or to a local fire dept and have them install it. There should be a certified person at each to do that and they can show you how to do it as well. I used to be a supervisor at a Babies R Us and had to take a certification course to install them per DOT safety specs. If its the kind of seat with a base that remains in the car you might be able to leave it in as you only need to lift the back rest out of they way after you unbolt it.

I'll give it a go to try and separate the grille halves. Hopefully that will make it a bit easier. As for the car seat, its not a matter of knowing how to do it, it's just a royal pain. It's a one piece front facing seat, and the dimensions are such that everything is just in the wrong place when you're trying to get the buckle latched into the car. A third arm that is attached backwards would make it easy! :lol: If it comes to it, it is still easier for me to do it than go drive someplace and wait for someone else to do it!

Thanks for the pic Heartbeat! Knowing where the clips are will be helpful for sure.