Infinity to Sony.... I know.....

lumidohc

So I have some infinity's in my car right now (5 1/4 up front) and my brother in law just gave me some brand new sony xplod 6 1/2 speakers that he hasn't been able to put in anything. Free stuff! But now I've been trying to decide what to do. I've wanted to put 6.5 in my car for a little while now but haven't had the extra money laying around. There's nothing wrong with the infinity's, they actually sound pretty sweet, but the bigger speaker would theoretically give me some more low end/ mid bass (which I like). I was hoping to get some of your guys' opinions on which ones would sound best? It's hard to decide because Sony speakers seem to get a bad rep online. Thanks! :smile:

What's the model numbers of each? I'm willing to bet the Infinity is still the way to go though.

The infinity's are the reference series 5022i I believe and the Sony's are the xs-GT1626A

They're pretty close, there isn't much of a difference. The Sony's have a better frequency response, but thats about it. The Infinity's have better build materials and is better overall quality. I personally like Inifinity better, but in this case, either one would probably be fine. I would say to hold onto the Infinitys though, I've seen a lot of Sony's blow.

If you are wanting better low end, and amplifier would be your best bet. Since the lower frequencies require the cone to phyisically move more distance, it requires more power.