95 Monte Carlo 3100 to 3900 Swap

Michael Savage

What would it take to do this conversion? I've read about this engine and I would love to build one. Need to know what all would be need for a conversion like this? Or even the LS4 5300. Those both seem like amazing engines to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LS4 might be a bigger headache than the 3900. I don't think you would want to get into that LS4 build because of the transaxles issues. You would end up having to fab up custom ones.

Also, how deep are you willing to dig yourself on this one? Because if you think you can't do anything past the engine, you might be better off sending the car off to Milzy Motorsports. He specializes in what youre thinking about doing.

5.3L is an option for third gens, there should be somebody on one of the forums who's crammed one into a 1st gen. Those engines are usually reasonably priced too.

Prob with swapping in an ls4 is pcm and harnes. Pretty much have have whole car harness plus some parts. Bcm is integrated among others. There a dude on mcf ls4 swapping a 97 as we speak :)

You can get any v8 at pull a part with everything in the engine bay for $186 if you connect it all back together when you bring it out front for check out lol I want a rebuild project. Also I'm mostly interested in the information on swapping to 3900. The LS4 is just interesting as well, so LS4 swap would require fabing the from end to be a 2006-7 Monte

Thanks man I'll hop on there and check the LS4 on the Monte forums out, it sounds cool and I've talked about it before. I bet it sounds like a beast lol. Also with a lot of moding I've seen the LS4 in a 2007 Monte getting 822lb-ft at the wheels. Which is rediculous.

3.9 should physically bolt in

You can get any v8 at pull a part with everything in the engine bay for $186 if you connect it all back together when you bring it out front for check out lol I want a rebuild project. Also I'm mostly interested in the information on swapping to 3900. The LS4 is just interesting as well, so LS4 swap would require fabing the from end to be a 2006-7 Monte

• Like 1

3900 should be an easy drop in I know it's the 3800 combined with the 3400. With a little different internal setup with the heads. I wanna go with the Gas model not the flex fuel(waaaayyyyy to much work in that) but if I build it I'm gonna make it better than factory specs like my 3100, and this time max out the valve sizes. Then after it's ready gonna do a full XADO treatment on the Engine and Tranny.

• Like 1

Wiring seems easy tuning isn't a big deal since it's OBD2 and I have rebuilt axles at the shop before.

• Like 1

Should be mostly plug and play as long as you swap everything in the engine bay and maybe convert your gauges over. If you get the gas model not the Flex Fuel it should just be converting the front end over.

Except you gotta get the donor car's PCM and maybe BCM. Just throwing it out there, most of the people that get swaps swap PCM's.

3900 should be an easy drop in I know it's the 3800 combined with the 3400. With a little different internal setup with the heads. I wanna go with the Gas model not the flex fuel(waaaayyyyy to much work in that) but if I build it I'm gonna make it better than factory specs like my 3100, and this time max out the valve sizes. Then after it's ready gonna do a full XADO treatment on the Engine and Tranny.

3900 has exactly nothing to do with the 3800. Literally zero things in common besides the fact that they are both engines.

• Like 1

3900 has exactly nothing to do with the 3800. Literally zero things in common besides the fact that they are both engines.

and have 6 cylinders in a V configuration(though with clearly different bank angles) using an iron block.

oh, and the GM metric bellhousing pattern that was introduced on the 2.8 way back in....... 1980.

so, common stuff between them = GM V6 iron-block engines that can bolt to the same transmissions. nothing else.

if i weren't perpetually broke, i would have gone 3900/F40 instead of LQ1/4T60E, along with a pretty tweaked PCM to control the 3900's cam phasing and variable intake.

If I can rebuilt a 3900 for $600 and get the transmission for $80 what would I have to do to make it work

• Like 1

I shall, parts arnt much of an issue in Memphis, 14,000,000 people, average 15 wrecks a day, 30 people sell their cars a month to pay rent. Used parts are abundant and cheap! ;)

They have me this link for the 3500

http://www.milzymotorsports.com/3500-swap/

Waiting on the 3900 info. Mostly their kit they sell for several hundred dollars to make the conversion simple is just them re wiring some connectors and sensors. Each of which you could wire yourself in 10-30minutes as long as you read the wires properly. So honestly IDE look at their kit go to the junk yard get the sensors they use wire it you're self and plug and play.